Any CDL companies in Chicago that will pay for my training?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by miss_maymay23, Jun 16, 2015.

1. miss_maymay23

miss_maymay23 Bobtail Member

Jun 16, 2015
    Was looking into becoming a CDL driver but sadly I cannot afford the classes at the moment. Does anyone know of any companies that will pay for my training? I do understand that I will have to work for that company to pay back the training and I'm fine with that, but I just need a school here in Chicago that I can go to. Also I'm a 23 year old female do you guys think this type of work on the road is safe for me? Or is it just too dangerous?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CaptainDaveG

CaptainDaveG Road Train Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Fremont Wi
    Millis Transfer in Richfield you pay 500 down and they take care of the rest. I dont think its dangerous out here...good luck to you

Be Safe Out There

Captain Dave

P.S. I did write about my entire school in another forum.

miss_maymay23 Thanks this.
  4. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    Check with Old dominion . We have schools in some areas. Get paid to come to school. Then sleep in hotels on your break. May is that Filipino ?

5. miss_maymay23

Jun 16, 2015
    OK thanks I will definatly check it out
    And may is short for my name Mayra.

6. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    Chicago is busy. Besides here, craigslist, the local paper on or off line, if you know of any truck stops close by you might check those out. They have a rack with several paper ads. Usually in or near the lounge.

7. Vilhiem

Vilhiem Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2014
    This job is dangerous *only* if you fail to do your job.

Do what you're supposed to, mirror scans, pretrips, and the like. If you do those, it's possible to avoid even the most idiotic of drivers.

That being said, it's just big game of cya all day long.

However, if you walk around in a truck stop in some areas of any place where you should be aware of your surroundings then you're asking for trouble. But that applies no matter what age or gender truthfully.

Not trying to scare you off, this industry is in need of good drivers... If you're interested in this field, then a #### good driver you'll have to be.

Best of luck, and you might check with your state. In Ga there's a program you can qualify for if unemployed, they'll pay for your tuition.

The companies mentioned so far are good from what I've heard and you could certainly do worse. Though...most old dominion drivers scare me when they have a set of doubles....

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  8. miss_maymay23

Jun 16, 2015
    I appreciate the advice. Thanks

Chinatown Thanks this.
  9. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    It would be in your favor to get all the endorsements. Old dominion pull doubles

Vilhiem Thanks this.
  10. Vilhiem

Vilhiem Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Being "marketable" helps in any career. Perhaps doubly so here.

11. Mr.Precious

Mr.Precious Bobtail Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Missouri
    Mayra,
    I think you should consider your strength in order to work on semi truck,
    some of old or damaged trailers required human strengths, for instance to close doors or open.
    cranking landing gears, or pull fifth wheel handle. it's can be tough from time to time.
    if you'll have a fairly new truck and trailer, you should not have any problems to work as a semi driver.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.