Any good school in AZ? or Sign up w/ carrier for training?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Bored Insane, May 28, 2015.

1. Bored Insane

Bored Insane Bobtail Member

May 17, 2015
    I would very much appreciate helpful comments or feedback!

I'm looking into signing up with either Roehl or other bigger carriers in AZ (are there carriers in AZ?), not really wanting to pay 5K for schooling, but if there is good reason then I will go that way (please advise, thanks much!!).

I'm looking to change career from office work to truck driving/ transport industry. No felons or records of any kind, I don't do drugs (legal or not). I did have a speeding ticket 4yrs back that I took defensive driving school for. No truck driving experience at all, but learning a lot from this forum and I think I can pass written test fairly easily (fingers crossed).

I've read other new graduates' questions and I found both the questions and answers very helpful, however, I'd like more specific answer to my situation.

Thanks in advance for all your comments, suggestions.

J.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Grim Green

Grim Green Bobtail Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Phoenix,AZ
    Hello Bored Insane,
    I can say your options are company sponsorship but those usually come with contracts. Please don't quote me on this but, I believe Knight Transportation doesn't have contracts and they pay you while you train. You might want to talk with a recruiter there to see if that is a fit for you. As for schools AIT program has pell grants and school loans like you would do in college. This school is a bit more pricy and they do pre-hires before you can start school so that way you have a company when you graduate. I think they use Werner, Covenant, Steven's,and Swift again not 100% sure. Might, be a school you may want to go down to and check out to see if it meets your needs. Lastly, if you are unemployed you may want to check out the WIA grant at the unemployment office. That grant if approved will pay for a 160 hour CDL class which is 4 weeks fulltime and will leave you debt free. I hope this gives some help to you. Best of luck to you.

Bored Insane Thanks this.
  4. Bored Insane

May 17, 2015
    Grim Green,

Great info. Thank you so much! I'm looking at Roehl and Schneider as well, Schneider has a recruiting event Monday that I may go check out (it's in Goodyear).

Thanks again.

5. crankyazz

crankyazz Light Load Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Fountain, Co
    Just my two cents, stay away from Squire, yes I'm a current Knight driver, no I won't give out any other info, so bash me if u want, just stay away lol

6. crankyazz

crankyazz Light Load Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Fountain, Co
    I will say this, no other company takes Knights Squire training, so make sure you want to stay with knight

7. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Check out Glendale Comm Coll. They had an instructor there when I got my license in 1993.

8. Bakerman

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    I know this guy that does the Conway turn to Fontana 2 to 4 times a week-that seems like a pretty easy gig.

9. Bored Insane

May 17, 2015
    Thanks guys, much appreciate it. I will check up on Glendale CC again, their website (search for classes) came up empty. Perhaps I need to call them directly. I did talk to both Roehl and Schneider on the phone and in person (only Schneider). Have not decided which yet, but Schneider want to hire people with CDL from list of schools they recommend.

thx.

10. Grim Green

Grim Green Bobtail Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Phoenix,AZ
    Hey Bakerman, Just a heads up Glendale Community College got rid of the CDL program back in 2011. I did hear good things about that training but it is no longer available.

11. Bakerman

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Back in the 90's, I worked for a co. that leased their trucks through Penske. They set up the testing & certification for the drivers at our co. to get our CDL's.

Try calling the larger locations in Phx.-Penske, Ryder & RWC-and ask them if they have or know of a training program, school, that you could look into.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.