Any household movers in the forum?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by localguy65, Sep 8, 2013.

1. localguy65

localguy65 Light Load Member

Oct 8, 2012
    Local or long distance? Preferably someone that owns their own company or works for one. I cannot find any forums or much info on movers. I have questions on business levels, what you need to get started, best practices, best truck for the job etc. I've done alot of research, but any other info can help. Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. localguy65

Oct 8, 2012
    nobody. anything would help.

4. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    If you are as new as your profile says, I would recommend you get on-board with MTS (Mergenthaler Transfer and Storage) and see what it is like with them for a year. They have a household good division and they work with Atlas Van lines and United. I honestly don't know their corporate structure, and they may own a stake in the prior two companies.

What I do know about moving companies is that they readily hire new CDL grads and pay them per mile driven & hourly for doing the labour intensive work. Some companies run coast to coast, others specialize in working with military families and their PCSs. They box up household goods and then put them in big wooden storage boxes so they are consolidated for transfer (almost like LTL where they get moved around until they hit their final destination). Labour intensive work. Aside from that, you probably want to look into the "Ask an Owner Op" folder if you own your own truck and really just want to start your own business.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
    localguy65 and bigmain75 Thank this.
  5. localguy65

Oct 8, 2012
    Very helpful road_runner. Thank you! Just need a company where they hire newbies and hopefully make a little more than the average new truck driver. Know of any companies in Florida?

6. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Look into Atlas Van Lines.. Or Graeble Relocation Worldwide. Graeble has a terminal in Orlando.

7. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    I worked at Graebel for about a week and hated it. Couldn't wait to get back to freight/LTL after about 3 days of the bedbugging industry.

8. localguy65

Oct 8, 2012
    What didn't you like about it?

9. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    If you want to get into just getting paid better than starting pay with one of the mega carriers, I would look into LTL. They started me around $50k/year after I got out of CDL school. There is more than enough info/people you can ask here about what it is like doing freight.

I have never done household goods moving, but I would imagine it is very physically demanding. The fact that you are now dealing with someone's personal belongings and not general freight also is something I would not want to deal with. There are more than enough property owners that want their prized posessions moved and boxed a certain way and will hover over you while you are working to ensure it gets done the way they specified it. If you can deal with that, almost all moving companies hire newbs cause their job environment is unique and driver retention is more challenging for them.

Shaggy and localguy65 Thank this.
  10. Marksteven

Marksteven Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Bumble Fxxx
    In the late 70's North American Van lines started their own training program, then sold newbies their used tractors for their New Products Division out of Ft. Wayne In. I dont know if they are even in buisness anymore.

Shaggy Thanks this.
  11. djskar

djskar Bobtail Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Orlando,FL
    I'm a driver for superior movers I started about a month ago after three years of freaking reefer division with couple of medium size companies my friends owns the company we currently have 8 trucks my exp is that for sure it's a lot of work but worth it I'm making owner operator wages been a company driver I get 40 cents per mile and 40 cents for cubic feet of everything you load from fl to wa I do coast to coast my trip average from east to west about 2 weeks but I grossed in my pocket $6000 from there I pay my helpers and expenses I stay with about $3500 one I have learned that this is one of the best pay industries on trucking. Ps my trailer have 4000 cu.ft and load two trailers from Florida to wAshington state plus all miles pay is like making 15000 miles every two weeks hopes this help keep in touch good luck!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.