Any Idea?.....3406E Cat Problems

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by mapstransport05, Jan 21, 2008.

1. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    It wouldn't, couldn't. You have to break down the system into it's compnents and isolate the compnents that are independant of the cruise system and it has to be there. it can't be any of the shared systems.

I had a pete with a detroit that had harness problems for the three years we had it. Had it in the shop numerous times. finaly we sold it and sent it in for something or another before we delivered it and they found the problem that time. Talk about being mad.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Roadhound

Roadhound Light Load Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Tennessee
    Sounds to me like you have a ground problem. I would check ALL of the ground connections on the truck and engine, especially the engine compartment. A bad ground will make trucks, and cars for that matter, do a lot of crazy stuff. Just keep in mind that there may be 15 to 20 connections or so to check, depending on make and model. Also, don't rule out batteries. Since it was in an accident, it may have jarred the lead plates loose in the battery, and that can cause crazy things to happen. It definately sounds electrical to me, so I wouldn't spend anymore money on mechanical repairs until I knew for sure. Hope this helps.

4. mapstransport05

mapstransport05 Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2008
    Dawsonville, GA
    Any ideas as to why it worked for about 3 weeks after we replaced the ECM and then it started doing it all over again? It seems like something is shorting out the ECM.

5. lzuplift

lzuplift Bobtail Member

Jan 4, 2008
    colorado springs,co
    I,m with you rodehound,every one of them sensors have their own gd,if ir's not tight they will send a false message to the ecm,the ecm says reduce power,and it can't because the ground is intermitten,you said the truck was in a wreck,but was it acollaison,or a rollover,or what,thats my opion,hope this helps.

6. MedicineMan

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    they may have moved a wire while they replaced the ecm causing to to make it's connection then it loosened back up over time. I'd check every plug and conection within a few feet of the ecm

7. broncrider

broncrider Road Train Member

well i would definatly stop throwing parts at it and take it to a reputible shop with an excellent troubleshooter...be prepared to leave it for a few days with full tanks...have them hook up the scanner and take it for a 100 mile road test...preferavibly with a load...and over a big hill...alot of shops that have tow trucks also have an equipment trailer they could put a forklift or something heavy on to get the loaded condition...as alot of time sytems aren't severe enuff to notice empty (trust me)....definatly check all grounds and connections

at one shop i worked at we had a strait truck...blowing white smoke (unburnt fuel) out the pipes....computer said all was ok....good return flow...injector pulsewidth and coppers were good...pump pressure was within specs...little blow by...in short everything checked out normal...took us forever to figure out what was really the cuase....when we did it was something small and stupid

8. mapstransport05

Jan 21, 2008
    Dawsonville, GA
    it was involved in a passenger side collision. Not a rollover. thanks to everyone with ideas and suggestions we are troubleshooting everything. any more comments are greatly appreciated

9. mapstransport05

Jan 21, 2008
    Dawsonville, GA
    New Symtom: While idling it will rev itself up. My husband unplugged the Throttle position sensor and it stopped. when he plugged it back in it started revving up again. This throttle position sensor is only about 3-4 months old? Could it be bad already or something within the connections? I dunno I cant handle many more symtoms!

10. MedicineMan

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    Was it replaced before it started acting up or was it replaced trying to cure the problem. Just because a part is new doesn'tmean it's good. I'vseen more problems from new parts than you would imagine. If it was replaced and then the problem started I'd geta new one to try. If it was replaced because of the problem then it may be a coincidence. I would imagine with it unpluged it would go into some sort of "limp" mode. Personally I'm surprised it runs with it unpluged.
    If you have spent that much money at the cat shop mabey they would "lend" you another one to try so you don't have to pay for another one.

11. mapstransport05

Jan 21, 2008
    Dawsonville, GA
    it was replaced trying to fix the problem. He had the old one with him and tried it and it did the exact same thing. I spoke with a mechanic today and he suggested that it was the vehicle control module in the dash because the VCM controls the TPS as well, and I forgot to mention earlier that the speedometer also jumps/bounces on idle. So he got into the dash and found some loose wires in or around the vehicle control module and he readjusted or tightened them and it seems to have helped if not corrected the problem all together for now.......we will see. I couldnt imagine that it would be something as simple and COSTLESS as that to fix it. LOL

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.