Any one know information on Jim Palmer Trucking?

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Bochephus, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Bochephus

Bochephus Bobtail Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Whitefish, MT
    I have done alot of research on Jim Palmer Trucking, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me about there orientation and skills test and if i am gonna have to wait on getting my truck and out on the road?

I have my year of verifiable exp. and I'm not worried about there recent bank problems and what not, I am just curious about what to look forward to. I know that there are a few drivers or former drivers on here that worker for them. Thank you for the info and I am looking forward to hearing from you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gears

Gears Trucker Forum STAFF - Gone, But Not Forgotten.

Aug 20, 2009
    Use the search function of the forum. There was a thread not two weeks ago where someone asked about the very same question.
    Good luck to you!

4. jpt5617

jpt5617 Bobtail Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Waukee, Ia
    As you can tell by my name I drove 5617 while I was there but now pull flatbed for Hunt out of Omaha, just never changed it. You will get a truck right away or they will send you to get it and you will get a load right away, usually there were a lot of relays on the yard or the paper loads out of there. You do a lot of west coast and they will keep you busy and they had a lot of upper management left, which I think was good. It was a good company but we had to part ways before the bankruptcy, dispatch was getting a little pushy on the qualcomm and I have to have it out with them.

Bochephus Thanks this.
  5. Bochephus

Bochephus Bobtail Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Whitefish, MT
    Thanks JPT5617,

I am looking forward to driving for them, and I'm not worried about running hard. I was in the Marine Corps for six years and have never ran so hard in my life. I am just gonna make sure that I run safe and legal. Also, Are the trucks normally in good condition? I like to keep my equipment neat and tidy so I dont have to spend any downtime at the shop.

6. jpt5617

jpt5617 Bobtail Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Waukee, Ia
    They always took care of the equipment and I never had a problem getting anything done. If I were you when you go home leave the truck in Missoula so the shop can work on it. They have a big gated in parking area that you can leave your vehicle in that is paved and lit right across from the shop.

Bochephus Thanks this.
  7. plater1

plater1 Medium Load Member

Jan 24, 2011
    back in NY
    pm sent about jim palmer trucking.

8. Wyld Bill

Wyld Bill Bobtail Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Levittown, Pa
    At least his first name wasn't Dick..lol... "Hi I work for Dick Palmer" TFF.. Just wanted to put that out there is all.. Nothing but a laugh.. Best of Luck..

9. ProPilot

ProPilot Light Load Member

Dec 26, 2008
    In my truck.....
    JPT takes care of their drivers, O/O's especially. You get liberal access to your escrow funds for things like tires and repairs. Never a problem getting comcheck support if you are short on funds.

Orientation is 3 days long - they put you up at the Days Inn up at Muralt's at exit 96, right down the road from the terminal. Not a bad place, but it's right next to the truckstop and gets noisy sometimes. You can either walk over to the TS for breakfast or take the free continental breakfast, which is not all that great. For lunch, they bring in Gino's subs one day, but the rest of the time, they take you up to Muralt's Cafe, which is pretty good. (try the steak soup!) You get a company mini-van for back and forth to the hotel and Wal-Mart, etc.

Orientation classes are very small, about 5-6 at a pop. They run from about 8am to 3-4 PM...nothing fancy. Terminal is nice, and the Missoula shop is well equipped. Only problem was availability of tractors - they had some guys waiting in the hotel for a while waiting for a tractor. But you get paid for that time, though.

Denver shop is small, crowded and JPT shares the yard with a cross-dock freight outfit and a repair shop. Lots of trucks, trailers and other vehicles in that small yard. Get in there early if you're planning on spending the night, cause it fills up quick. Have clean showers, laundry and a drivers lounge, and apart from the shop, that's about it. Nothing within walking distance, really, so bring a lunch....

Runs were decent - lots of apple loads to the midwest, and a lot of midwest running until time to go home, then they'd route you to Denver to Coors or Bud and a beer load back to MT. Not a lot of CA I-5 stuff, but you do Texas, NM and Arizona a lot to CA. Wal-Mart, Wal-Mart, Wal-Mart - get used to it with these guys.....

Home time scheduling is good, so the company guys used to tell me - I ran O/O with them so I took off whenever I wanted.

They had some issues awhile back after I left when Jim sold the company to a couple of Yugoslavs - the entire management quit one morning, and left everyone wondering. Plus, there were a lot of foreigners showing up with new trucks and getting most of the prime runs, so I was told...

Note: Dispatch was getting a little stressed - night dispatch was a real pain with his attitude, but that might have changed...

I left them because I got my own authority - but you could do a whole lot worse than JP Trucking...

rickway65 Thanks this.
  10. driver4015

driver4015 Medium Load Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Bend ,Oregon
    just got a call, first of the week from jpt. called them back this morning, go to mt the 21st and off on the road again! I'm NOT a newbie. this is pretty close to my 34th year doing this, I'll take the chance. will keep everyone posted as time allows.

rickway65 Thanks this.
  11. rickway65

rickway65 Light Load Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Keep us posted Anxious to hear the details? I have a spot there just have to decide if I want to make the jump. Thanks for posting!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.