Any useful information appreciated!

Discussion in 'Shippers & Receivers - Good or Bad' started by traktor74, May 27, 2015.

1. traktor74

traktor74 Bobtail Member

May 27, 2015
    Well, my story is: I got loaded with watermelons in Arcadia, FL in a farmers company "K Sweet Farms Inc" going to Burris Logistics in Rocky Hill, CT. I got my paperwork, pulled out of the loading dock, closed trailer doors, turned reefer on and got on a highway. By paperwork I had 56 bims of watermelons in my trailer. When I got unloaded in Burris, they only received 50 bims! And the shipper says they loaded 56, so they trying to make me responsible for other 6 bims. Contract with the broker (C.H. Robinson) says: carrier may be required to handle and/or count shipment, but they never required me to do so. Did anyone ever had same problem? Any suggestions what to do or where to call?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Regardless of any "rule" the broker has, YOU, the driver are responsible for counting on the load, right ? Never trust the forklift guy !

Big Don Thanks this.
  4. tnevin225

tnevin225 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2014
    Was the trl sealed by the shipper?

5. bigdogpile

bigdogpile Road Train Member

May 16, 2010
    fontana ca
    If the trl is sealed by the shipper and unsealed by the reciever,Driver is not responsible for anything except driving the watermelons ....

6. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Uh-no. The only way the driver is NOT responsible for the count is if he is picking up a preloaded, pre-sealed trailer. If the driver is being live loaded, then he IS responsible for the count and securement. The OP stated that HE pulled forward and closed the trailer doors, which tells me that he had the opportunity, and the responsibility to count the load.
    It looks to me like the driver, (or his company,) is going to be paying for some watermelons here. Sure it sucks! But checking the freight as it is being loaded, IS the responsibility of the driver, except in very narrow circumstances.

7. bigdogpile

May 16, 2010
    fontana ca
    What if a shipper refuses to let you on the dock ? Some do,

Big Don Thanks this.
  8. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    That would be one of the very narrow circumstances that I was talking about.

9. bigdogpile

May 16, 2010
    fontana ca
    Ok,So lets be real here,, A driver isn't gonna try to take 6 mins of watermelons off a truck and try to sell them out the "back door"would he? Then the shipper needs to say yea we shorted your load and we'll be sending you more ASAP..

10. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Sure, that is what the shipper SHOULD do, but will they? Have you never run into a dishonest shipper, (or receiver for that matter?)
    The name of the game is CYA!

11. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    Unless you can convince the shipper to write SLC (shipper load and count) on the BOL, it is on the driver if anything comes up short.

It could very well be a dishonest shipper here. Farmer K sees that the driver is taking a nap instead of being on the dock inspecting the loading process and sees a golden opportunity to sell six bins of melons twice.

traktor74 and Big Don Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.