Anyone else having problems getting home on time?

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Randokuky, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Straight Stacks

Straight Stacks Paper Cha$er

Jul 18, 2015
    Alabama Gulf Coast
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SteveH85396

SteveH85396 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Waddell, AZ
    You have to be proactive and plan ahead.

You absolutely cannot count on the planners to help you. They will send you in the opposite direction at a time when you need to be starting towards home.
    I've actually asked a planner if they flunked geography.

My next hometime request is for 08/06 in Phoenix. I'll unload tomorrow in Salt Lake then I'm headed back to Cheyenne. I will go no further east than Cheyenne UNLESS it's to pick up a load headed home.

4. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    Nope ...
    Have you tried calling the planners directly?

5. dodgeram440rt

dodgeram440rt Heavy Load Member

May 19, 2009
    Piqua, Ohio
    When you decline a load, make sure you leave a comment that says "Hometime on whatever date." You can even make it all caps to add empasis. They will get you home. Most of the time, my issue is getting miles on that week I'm going home because they always want to keep me close so I get home on time.

Sometimes they also get hung up on getting you one load from where you are to where you want to be. You may have to let them know you can do multiple loads to get home, even if it means a day late. Be flexible. I was stuck in Reno once four days before my home time in Ohio. They kept sending me loads picking up in California and going to Washington. Completely the wrong way. My DM said there was nothing in that area going that far east, but there was plenty from SLC. I said then send me to SLC. I got home a couple days late, but since I didn't have anything major planned that I missed out on that was fine. Spent a few days home with the family and hit the road again.

6. Randokuky

Randokuky Light Load Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Denton, Tx
    Yeah I declined the load with home time in the comments......but someone didn't like the fact I told then I was quitting, I got stacked loads at 5pm yesterday aurora, il to cedar falls, ia then dead head 100 miles for a Cargill pick up that del in okc, ok. Said the drop in ia was this morning at 6am, got here and was told the date got pushed back to 8/1 at 6am. So now either they fix it or I miss the pick up heading to okc and have to sit on the 240 mile load till sat. Someone is playing a dirty game. Needless to say I'm steaming hot

scottied67 Thanks this.
  7. pumpkinhead

pumpkinhead Light Load Member

Mar 18, 2015
    If I get hometime within 2 weeks of the date I request, I'm happy. Makes it hard for appointments and stuff though.

8. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Once you informed them of your plans to leave, they quit giving a rat's tail about keeping you happy. Now the game is to make as much money off you before you abandon the truck. Why else do you think Swift has a dedicated team to do abandoned truck recovery?

Should've kept your mouth shut about future plans, and quit from the house. As it is, they'll keep you away from home as long as possible.

FLATBED Thanks this.
  9. pumpkinhead

pumpkinhead Light Load Member

Mar 18, 2015
    So you're saying the way to keep running is to say you'll quit? jk ;)

Randokuky and MM3Deg Thank this.
  10. Randokuky

Randokuky Light Load Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Denton, Tx
    Lol seems that way......I guess my DM didn't read the quitting message, that load was t called and I was dispatched on home load...then got a message asking for pta out of home time

11. HousTank

HousTank Medium Load Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Houston, TX
    I have home time set in Houston for Monday. Started my day in Greer SC. Left the Terminal with a Tcall to McDonough GA unloading Friday morning.

On the way to McDonough to set my 10 for delivery I received 3 very nice pplns going long distance but in the wrong direction from Houston. Refused every one of them because I want to go HOME.

Then was sent a 3-stop load direct to Houston unloading on Sunday. Gets me home one day early. That's more like it!!

Sometimes you just have to stand your ground. It also helps to live in a high freight city :)

Kindle Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.