Anyone else sans a gallbladder?

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by 2500HDRob, Oct 8, 2015.

1. 2500HDRob

2500HDRob Light Load Member

May 9, 2011
    USA
    I had my gallbladder removed due it only working at 10% of its normal function. It was removed but the diet change has been hell.

I wanted to know if anyone here was minus a gallbladder and if you have found any medicine to help you eat somewhat normal? Eating on the road is already hard enough but having to pop Imodium pills before you eat has to do more harm than good.

The issue is when driving, the doctors conveniently leave out before surgery that anything fatty/spicy will induce crippling cramps as you have basically streamlined the digestive process. So with restrooms already hard to find in a somewhat clean state the gallbladder issue exacerbates the restroom search

And driving with crippling cramps is not safe. Anyone have any remedies? I can eat healthy which is fine but sometimes I would like to enjoy something tasty without worrying if I will be near a restroom in TEN MINUTES.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SGIT

SGIT Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2015
    West Jordan, UT
    Had mine removed about 4 months after my gastric bypass. I do my best to stay away from greasy/spicy foods and generally don't eat anything substantial unless I'm on my 10 hour reset and within walking distance of a flush toilet.

2500HDRob Thanks this.
  4. MM71

MM71 Heavy Load Member

Jun 28, 2008
    AZ
    Time will help with the crippling cramps. When you have no bile storage, it's difficult to get your body accustomed to fatty foods. Bitters helps (you can get it at a health food store). A single teaspoon of bitters in a small amount of water in the morning and in the evening should be sufficient to stimulate your liver to produce adequate amounts of bile.

Bile Salts (another supplement) taken at meal time can also help, both can be taken in conjunction. Another good idea is to eat on a schedule .... and stick to a low fat diet ;)

2500HDRob Thanks this.
  5. Karenk

Karenk Bobtail Member

Mar 5, 2014
    Florida
    Go to the health food store and pick up some Digestive enzymes high I lipas, I helps

2500HDRob Thanks this.
  6. 2500HDRob

May 9, 2011
    USA
    Thanks guys. I drive class b local now and I want to make the move to Class A OTR but I want to get this under control before the move.

7. Karenk

Karenk Bobtail Member

Mar 5, 2014
    Florida
    One agent that can help in the emulsification of fat is the food constituent lecithin (available in health food stores). I recommend that you take a dessertspoonful of lecithin when you eat a fatty or rich meal. You may also benefit from taking a supplement called Lipozyme which contains concentrated lipase enzyme.

2500HDRob Thanks this.
  8. 2500HDRob

May 9, 2011
    USA

Awesome I will definitely grab some to try out.

9. Sipesh

Sipesh Medium Load Member

Apr 3, 2014
    Colorado
    Had mine out 15 years ago. Miserable until I got a doctor who put me on Colestipol. Normally used for cholesterol problems, it can calm down your guts after gall bladder removal. Worked well for me.

2500HDRob Thanks this.
  10. 2500HDRob

May 9, 2011
    USA
    I am going to go to my gastro doctor before I go to CDL school. Hopefully with the OTC medicine and some prescribed I can knip it in the bud while keeping my diet in check.

It only happens when I eat good food, which is greasy and fatty lol. Water and fresh fruits are in my future for sure.

11. mountaingote

mountaingote Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2012
    Maybe try omeprazole. Primarily for acid but I can eat most anything I want without troubles.

2500HDRob Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.