Anyone ever bid on loads on UShip.com?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by bigjoel, Oct 3, 2012.

1. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    You're crazy as a loon if you don't think shippers everywhere don't care or know about vicarious liability and what happened to CH Robinson. Yeah they all want everything done as cheap as possible but the days of not caring about what carriers haul the freight (their compliance and saftey records) are coming to an end. If Uship is doing half of what people say they are without a care in the world about saftey records, operating authority etc then what he said is right on, it's only a matter of time before something happens and they get wiped out in a lawsuit.

aiwiron Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Quickfarms

Quickfarms Heavy Load Member

May 29, 2012
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Some of the shipping wars stuff is just drama but a lot of it is plain stupidity.

4. Thorxr10

Thorxr10 Light Load Member

Aug 28, 2012
    There's a tv show called shipping wars, the group on the show bids loads on uship, and then it takes you through the journey as they work on delivery the load, about half are rookies, only one rig, the rest are pickups, good show tho!

5. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    You ever wonder how they make money? At the end when they show their "profit" they have not calculated any insurance or truck or trailer payment or any of that. Take all of those costs out and they are basicly touring the country slowly going broke.

4mer trucker and VisionLogistics Thank this.
  6. Flightline

Flightline Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Almost There
    I've actually met guys making their money from U.ship. No cargo insurance or DOT to deal with. One guy pulling a horse trailer with camper in the front and no name on the truck or trailer. Another guy pulling a large toy hauler, again no name so they do not have to deal with DOT. Neither one making any great money at it, but making enough to travel for free.
    Look for the Toy haulers and horse trailers in the truck stops, especially down south like Florida and talk with them.
    I just can't beleive out government doesn't step in and I can't beleive most customers don't ask about cargo insurance.

7. Thorxr10

Thorxr10 Light Load Member

Aug 28, 2012
    That's true, and sometimes they have to rent a trailer. There was one episode where they were crossing the state line into Nevada and DOT shut them down for not having logs at all, no fines just made them take a reset but they found someone to drive the truck into Vegas instead

8. Flightline

Oct 1, 2011
    Almost There
    The biggest problem and different reality from the show is the auction doesn't time out like an auction. It times out, when the customer decides to take whoever bid. Most bids will time out before the customer responds because most customer like to see their auction run until they are ready to get it moved.
    I have actually gotten a few loads off their when I had my own authority. Made money on one short haul of a box truck and lost money on another, because the customer needed an RGN trailer and didn't realize a difference between that and a step deck which I have.
    I still like to watch things on there. Wide loads usually go high on there.

9. DMH

DMH Medium Load Member

Jan 9, 2012
    Thats why I used the word HALF. Since U-Ship isnt a broker are they the ones that should be checking mc numbers and so on or should the shipper be checking. I think you ship just provides a place for shippers to find a carrier so iam not sure they should really have to check for legal stuff. Our CSA is clean and maybe thats why I dont give it the importantcy that you guys do. Maybe its because every day here in the north east I see trucks that look like their about to fall apart with trailers to match and find it hard to believe that anybody really checks or cares about much of anything. With that said I hope your wright about shippers doing their part to weed out the bad, but in the end the the really bad ones just start a new company or put it in a different name and the whole cycle starts all over.

10. Flightline

Oct 1, 2011
    Almost There
    Normal shippers are not using u.ship. It's the little shipper or individual posting 98 percent loads on there.
    No uship is not a broker and does not pretend to be. If you haul from uship much, you'll see the adavatange of using a broker.

11. LGarrison

LGarrison Road Train Member

May 19, 2011
    Sandpoint Idaho
    They only post the gross and gross is not the profit it's the net when the run is done.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.