Anyone familiar with Washington SR 14?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by JReding, Jan 19, 2017.

1. JReding

JReding Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    So I've been on 14 a couple of times, once crossing at the Bridge of the Gods, once going all the way to the Hood River/White Salmon bridge. One of my coworkers is going to Hood River from Portland tonight, and we're still waiting to hear about conditions on 84. If it remains closed, he'll be taking 14 out there.
    Now there are those tunnels you have to drive through with the extremely tight clearance; is anyone familiar with the best practice for getting through them in case of oncoming traffic? Calling out mile markers before entering? Flashing lights?
    Anyone familiar with this route, help is appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pnwtrucker

Pnwtrucker Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2016
    It's not horrible yes the tunnels are tight but doable not much traffic on there unless 84 is closed. Run it once in awhile he will be fine it's not a quick route

JReding Thanks this.
  4. JReding

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    I agree, it's not a bad road, our main concern is those tunnels. Have you ever heard any problems with vehicles meeting at one of them at the same time?

5. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    When I attempted to run 14, I only made it to the Bridge of the Gods (coming from Vancouver) before signage indicated that the tunnels ahead were less than 13'6"

BUMBACLADWAR and JReding Thank this.
  6. Pnwtrucker

Pnwtrucker Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Never had a problem in the tunnels.

JReding Thanks this.
  7. JReding

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    A truck can go through the tunnels, it's just a bit of a squeeze. It's a pretty common alternate route if 84 is closed.
    You can't get two trucks in one at the same time going opposite directions, though.
    Screenshot_20170119-163218.jpg

Lepton1, Dave_in_AZ, Ke6gwf and 2 others Thank this.
  8. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada

That video is giving me some more confidence to run it in the morning if 84 remains closed. There are a bunch of us holed up in Pasco. And they just let traffic loose in ontario at about 3pm pacific time. Gonna be fun.

My thinking is if 84 is not in good condition why would I want to try 14? The weather is improving here in Pasco, above freezing now all day and around here it looks like good running. I have heard reports there are many downed trees on 84 as well as the ice buildup.

9. flyby1971

flyby1971 Light Load Member

Dec 26, 2016
    CDA ID
    I pulled a Reefer many years ago and have taken that way many, many times. The road is fine to travel on good roads. I don't know how well they are maintained during this type of weather though.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  10. JReding

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    Wow, everything looks so different in the daytime!

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  11. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Yep sure does ...but it shows all the bridge heights should be good to go. Maybe a little skinny but not too low.

JReding Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.