Anyone go to CRST with experience?

Discussion in 'CRST' started by AlexFromMD, Sep 11, 2016.

1. AlexFromMD

AlexFromMD Light Load Member

May 18, 2015
    I've heard all the horror stories of rookies with a CDL still warm from the printer being paired of with other rookies to essentially train each other and bait and switches but how is CRST as a company for experienced drivers? CRST has a dedicated route for teams near me which is tempting. I like the idea of driving the same exact roads to the same exact shippers and receivers. In my perfect world fantasy I even daydream about finding a mom and pop diner to have a great meal on my 30 minute break a few times a month. Anyways back to reality the specific questions I have are how are the benefits? I want good health and dental insurance at a reasonable price. Good equipment? Any of you still driving anything 2012 or older? A year ago SNI handed me the keys to a 2010 and I was not amused. At one point I heard CRST does not offer direct deposit. This can not possibly be true, can it???

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sliver

sliver Light Load Member

Feb 17, 2015
    idaho
    A 2010 bothers you? Guess you should just buy your own 2016 and trade it every year. Lol. That's just terrible expecting a guy to drive a 2010 no wonder you quit. I can't even imagine the atrocities of driving a older truck. Shame on them. You deserve a brand new one Ridiculous I can't believe they expected you to drive a older truck put your time in and prove yourself.

bzinger and driverdriver Thank this.
  4. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    Shame on my boss for forcing me to drive this 2007 379

5. alghazi

alghazi Road Train Member

Aug 29, 2014
    No direct deposit. They call what they do "indirect deposit" (what a ridiculous term). Thats an official-sounding way of saying they put your pay on comdata, and then you have to arrange with comdata to transfer the money to your account.

surfdog Thanks this.
  6. Texasdriver08

Texasdriver08 Bobtail Member

Sep 27, 2016
    Does anybody on this thread happen to know where crst sends drivers from South Texas to the orientation? Thanks in advance guys

7. Truckfreedom

Truckfreedom Bobtail Member

Sep 9, 2016
    They pay you twice a week on your comdata card. You can transfer mo ey to your bank from that.trucks are primarily freightliner 10 speed eaton cascadia

8. Lunatic Fringe

Lunatic Fringe Medium Load Member

Oct 1, 2016
    When you talk about dedicated there are two options: CRST's Dedicated division or a section of CRST Expedited they call, "Expedited Select". Dedicated is for solo drivers, Expedited Select is for teams. Which one were you interested in? You mentioned a team route, but finding a good co-driver can be hit or miss. If you start with one division but change your mind later you have to quit, wait at least three months and then apply at the new division as an external applicant. The only way around this is if your new division specifically requests you (rare).

The health insurance isn't great. You've got three choices:
    A policy with a $3,000 deductible that covers 100% of covered expenses after the deductible.
    A policy with a $2,500 deductible that covers 80% of covered expenses after the deductible.
    A GAP Plan - covers a pre-defined amount regardless of cost (ie you get $25 per prescription drug no matter what it costs).

Indirect Deposit is weak but you can transfer funds from your Comdata card to your bank account with the Fleet Advance app (available for Android and iOS) at no charge. Usually takes a day (ie get paid today on your Comdata card, transfer the funds on Fleet Advance before 3 pm Central and the funds will be available on your bank account tomorrow).

If you're coming onboard from Texas you'll do orientation in OKC.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    25(2)+2 Thanks this.
  9. Lunatic Fringe

Lunatic Fringe Medium Load Member

Oct 1, 2016
    You don't see old trucks at CRST. I drive a 2016 Cascadia. I've also seen Kenworths and Volvos at the terminals but not as many as the Freightliners. Around 550k miles CRST either sells them or refurbishes the motors and leases them.

That said, the high turnover and constant inflow of student drivers into the company means it can be difficult to find a truck whose transmission isn't, "particular" from the constant abuse of student drivers. If you impress your FM with your work ethic and driving abilities you'll get a new or at least newish truck after a few months. New drivers and slackers get whatever is left.

You will see some nasty trailers though. I got one once with sediment stains on the wheels and rotting rubber on the tires that looked like it had been stuck in a swamp for several months. Bad ABS lights, chewed up tires, dead bulbs and holes in the roof aren't hard to find.

10. nightgunner

nightgunner Road Train Member

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    I feel like trailer trash now for buying an '06 from a local dealer. :( I really should have higher standards I guess.

Gunner75 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.