Anyone have experience with Texas CDL rental trucks?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Bdog, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    I passed all five of my written tests today for a class A and now all I lack is the road test. I own a couple 26k Internationals (one auto one stick) and have tons experience driving them. One has air brakes and no hitch and the other has a hitch where I could put a trailer behind it and make it class A but it has hydraulic brakes so I can't use either for my road test as I don't want an air brake restriction. My plans are to buy a tandem or triaxle dump and put a pintle hook trailer behind it with my backhoe. I figured I better get my license before I buy a truck.

So for now I am looking for a truck to take my test in. There are three separate companies that are in the Dallas area that have auto shift trucks with pup trailers and for around $500 they will take you driving for a couple hours to practice and then you use their truck for the road test. All 3 report 90% or better pass rates on first tries. Does anyone have experience with any of these outfits and are any of them better than the others?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. The Crossword Trucker

The Crossword Trucker Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    actually you could buy your truck first. You dont need a CDL to operate a rig for non commercial purposes.
    Just put "not for hire" on the side and drive it off the lot.
    Not sure if they will let you test for your CDL in that but I dont see why not.
    What will get you is stuff like your in cab inspection if you dont know exactly how the examiner wants to hear it.

4. HorseShoe

HorseShoe Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Since you're in Texas hehe

5. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    I talked to them. I don't think I could focus if she was the instructor. Well I could focus but not on the road. I think she is just the salesperson and her husband Billy is the one who does the driving.

The downside to them is they meet at 1am with 10 or so drivers and you practice from 1am to 7am with everyone crammed in one truck. You then take an hour break at at 8 you go to the DPS and take the test which means you may very well be there all day depending on where you fall in the group of ten.

I spoke to Billy today and he said he had 11 people today take the test in Waco and all 11 passed.

6. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    I don't think that is correct at least in Texas. I may not need a commercial driver license if not for hire but I would need a class a non commercial. I don't think any joe blow with a class c can go hop in a class a vehicle and take it down the road without some special type of license.

7. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    It's not cheap but the TDI school I went too would road test you in your truck for $300 and $500 in their truck.

8. Mikesee

Mikesee Light Load Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Consider taking the road test twice, once with the truck an trailer to get the CDL A with air brake restriction then take the air brake test in the straight truck

roadmap65 Thanks this.
  9. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    The straight truck with air brakes is under 26k and doesn't have a hitch or even a place to put one. It has some specialty oilfield equipment mounted on it. I don't think I can use it for any part of the test because it is a class c vehicle

10. AshleyJ

AshleyJ Bobtail Member

Apr 18, 2012
    Plano, TX
    I used Billy with the CDL test truck and failed the test the first time. I passed the second time. There were a few others that failed the first time too.

Getsinyourblood Thanks this.
  11. Night Prowler

Night Prowler Medium Load Member

Aug 9, 2013
    Temple, Texas
    If you take the test in an auto truck arnt you only able by law to drive autos ? I was thinking of going this rout myself.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.