anyone have satellite internet in their rig?

Discussion in 'Cellular - Voice - Data' started by bowman316, Mar 21, 2015.

1. bowman316

bowman316 Medium Load Member

Dec 3, 2010
    aberdeen, md
    I was wondering if Hughes net would work in a truck,and if it works nationwide?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SnakeSkinssssss

SnakeSkinssssss Bobtail Member

Mar 20, 2015
    West
    I think you would have to get a cellular system, unless you want to take around a lot of equipment with you.
    You could get a hotspot and boost it with an antenna from your cell service provider.
    I might not be completely right, but that's what I think.

4. Vilhiem

Vilhiem Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2014
    To my knowledge hughesnet doesn't have a portable application. Yet. That, I think, has more to do with how they position the stationary receiving dish. In your case, the dish would likely need to be adjusted each time you moved.

I think most drivers use a hotspot device now. (Or use truck stop wifi.)

That being said... The tech is out there and it's available to be purchased. You're looking at either a mounted system which adds a good bit of weight to your cab, or one you have to put out anytime you want to use it. It's also rather expensive when compared to the other handful of options out there.

You would need to ask whatever company you're going with about coverage area. With satellite it's pretty hit or miss due to many factors including, but not limited to, trees, overhead lines/awnings, your trailer, or even your load. And let's not forget about weather.

Unfortunately, I can't point you on the right direction for companies or where to find the tech.

5. bowman316

bowman316 Medium Load Member

Dec 3, 2010
    aberdeen, md
    I just want unlimited data, so I can stream videos. And cell companies limit your data. Even Sprint throttles you.

6. Balakov100

Balakov100 Road Train Member

May 10, 2012
    Temple, TX
    LOL

I don't see if why it won't work.
    I don't think they have a Mobile Dish, so you will get quite good at aiming the dish lol.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
    flood Thanks this.
  7. The Gryphon

The Gryphon Heavy Load Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Not sure why anyone would want HughesNet on their truck, it sucks in a stationary setup.

4G LTE hotspots are the way to go. I've had one for years and it works fine.

8. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I dont have any personal experience with satellite,.. but I have looked into it as a potential cheaper alternative to the hotspot for cellular service.

What I discovered is that its not cheaper. I currently use my hotspot for hulu and netflix. I use about 30gb per month. The cost of the equipment for satellite,. Vue Cube, plus a dish for internet will set you back a bit, then the data rate for satellite is ridiculous. 30gb satellite costs twice as much as cellular. At least from Dish and Direct TV. Hughs had a mobile satellite internet also. Its listed for RV's,.. would work easily on a semi as well.

I was turned off when I combined the price for TV service, plus internet and then with a minimal cell plan,.. it came out considerably more then if I just stayed with my current cellular data plan. I'm not into sports or PPV. I have a few select shows I watch on Hulu and Netflix,.. At home I download movies and store them on my laptop for when I am on the road. Keeps me content for the most part.

I havent checked pricing on satellite internet/TV recently,.. my experience was about 2 yr ago. So,.. maybe check into it for RV applications. They may have reduced pricing some. I doubt the equipment is much cheaper though. I was looking at $1000+ just for the equipment. What they charged per GB for data makes phone companies look cheap by comparison.

EDIT:

Also,.. not sure about now,.. but their data speeds when I looked were not really enough to stream clear video. Through my research, most said they got between 500kb/s to about 1mb/s. Compared to LTE with 10 - 45 mb/s, depending on location,.. Satellite looks to be behind the curve a bit.

Hurst

9. MachoCyclone

MachoCyclone Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Texas
    Have you tried searching ebay for unlimited data? There are people on there who would rent you their unlimited data plan or maybe sell (don't know if those plans can see be transferred) for a monthly fee.

Not sure how much they charge now, I have had mine for a while and pay $100 for the Verizion 4gLTE unlimited and unthrottled mobile hotspot. I use it on the road for all internet usage. Netflix, download movies, Facebook, etc. I use over 30gb of data a month on a regular basis and have never been throttled.

10. dedrouteCO

dedrouteCO Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Vail, CO
    Cheapest buy it now is $1900 and $600 for the lowest starting bid.

11. MachoCyclone

MachoCyclone Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Texas
    I did a quick search also; those are the ones to transfer the account to your name. There were a few "rental" options listed. Although, a couple hundred up front + the $125 for service is steep. I guess I was lucky when I got mine. The up front cost included the first month of service.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.