Anyone here complete a Lease/Purchase with swift?

Discussion in 'Swift' started by FluffyGuy, Jun 5, 2011.

1. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010

Thanks, 48Packard. All too often, people make rash decisions without thinking it through and are then surprised when their decision fails.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    I did complete mine on a fast-forwarded schedule. Meaning I had a cash windfall and called up the leasing company and asked them what the payoff amount was. She quoted a number and I asked where to send the check. They were pretty shocked and surprised.

There's a lot to consider when the lease truck is then owned by the driver. Taxes and registration are outrageous. Keep track of every expense for the year as you can write it off. I have to pay California thousands of dollars for registration. It's almost like everyone has their fricken hand out wanting the owner operator's money. Some days you just wonder if the truck is worth more totaled out in the ditch lol.

fr8monkey and The Challenger Thank this.
  4. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

"Almost" you say? Have you read the news about states - especially Caltaxifornia being underwater, like homeowners? They DO want your money. And as much of it as they can get. :biggrin_25523:

scottied67 Thanks this.
  5. Montanaboy1988

Montanaboy1988 Light Load Member

Jun 26, 2013
    I was thinking about just buying a used w900 in cash and putting money into it ....but idk how bright of an idea that is .....

6. MPH2

MPH2 Light Load Member

Nov 20, 2012
    Strawberry plains, TN
    Montanaboy. It all depends on the condition of the truck.. If it is pre-emissions it going to be a little more reliable. Like if it has the Detroit 12.7 a lot more shops prefer to work on them so naturally they are cheaper to fix. But if you have mechanical experience you will be going further than most owners. Just doing the easy repairs will save you a ton of money. Alternators, belts, idler pullies, belt tensioner, etc but.. year of the truck matters at a few companies most if not all of your big companies is anywhere from no older that 4 years to 10 years. If you have cash to buy the truck and it's worth it and not ragged out. I would personally would buy it take myself to land star or alike just because of the independence
    And once I got my self setup good equipment wise and financially I would go carrier. Then you can get your own customers or pull from any broker you want. But if you buy your own truck make sure you have a large cushion account sitting there. Before you jump in I just got to replace my dpf filter because mine was cracked and the engine shutdown kept coming on so I got to drive to a shop 50 miles away and mashing the shutdown override every 5 mins so the engine didn't shutdown on me. It was 2500 for the dpf and labor because my core was junk.. and a overhaul you are looking at 20,000. I see it says you are at 1 year as a trucker if that's true make sure you are committed whole heartedly(is that a word?) and if you are married make sure your marriage is strong. Because you are going to test the limits of it even harder because you now have a second marriage that will be taking you from your true love. Instead you are home but instead of sitting beside your wife watching the movie she waited for you to come home to watch with you. You are now fixing the little problems on your truck before they become major problems out in the middle of nowhere. Greasing every fitting on the truck changing oil and filters fixing leaks etc. Lol I have almost a year experience and currently doing a 2 year lease on a 09 columbia. So I not trying to turn you away from it. I haven't regretted it yet lol. I have a great wife. She knows and understands what it takes and is supportive of it. If the wheels aren't turn there is no food on the table for her and the kids. OK I think I jumped a little bit of everywhere lol ill stop now but there is tons of things to look at and evaluate.

koncrete cowboy Thanks this.
  7. moonerman

moonerman Bobtail Member

May 29, 2013
    I cant believe you swift drivers think .90/mile is good lmao. I run mn to texas and back. 3200 miles a week. Home weekends. My truck grosses at a minimum 6k a week. I get 90% of that at $5400/week. Minus at a maximum 2k fuel a week and 200 a week truck payment and 200 insurance. Before my maintenance account deposit im at 3k. Get real guys n get with a different company.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  8. Montanaboy1988

Jun 26, 2013
    What company are you with ? Im not with swift ...but actually now we are bc they just bought us out , im just looking to get my own truck in cash .....and then move on somewhere else like landstar or a reefer carrier like sunco. ..ive done my research im just trying to get there ....you can't start from the top ...unless you get blessed

9. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    So you're running for a $1.69 to the truck, on 90% of $1.87, on a lane that the going rate is north of $2.00.

Good for you. You're doing a bit better than a Swiftie who gets at least their $.92 minimum base, plus fuel surcharge. Unless they're running broker freight and get upwards of $2.30 a mile.

But, I wouldn't go bragging about that $1.67 anywhere else. There are people here that will accuse you of running cheap freight for anything less than $2.00 a mile.

moonerman, blsqueak and A21CAV Thank this.
  10. Montanaboy1988

Jun 26, 2013
    I talked to a swift lease op today, and he didn't know how much he was receiving for his fuel surcharge lol....but he was also very strange lol

11. blsqueak

blsqueak Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2009
    buckeye lake, oh
    He must be not reading his messages. We get a message every Tuesday that tells us the FSC for the week, and today. .436

Lady K Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.