Anyone Hotshot with Landstar?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by naval_superman, May 24, 2016.

1. naval_superman

naval_superman Bobtail Member

May 24, 2016
    Been driving semis for a while and wanting to go hotshot. Saw Landstar is looking to lease owner ops and thought that would be a good start into it before branching out on my own. Anyone with Landstar? How is it?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MP-Ctek

MP-Ctek Bobtail Member

May 26, 2016
    We are not leased on to them, we run alot or Hotshot Expedited LTL loads for Landstar and they pay well if you meet there requirements and you get approved for some of the VIP clients. Standard LTL pays fair, but you won't break the bank. I do have a friend who leased his truck (Ram 3500 40k GVWR) to them and averages above 1.50 a mile loaded. He runs alot of deadhead but gets descent fuel mileage empty so it works out well for him. Landstar is 100% broker franchised and owner operator. Technically they do not own any trucks, all owner ops leased. You have 3 digit codes that represent each "Landstar Broker". Some good and some bad. You can build your favorite broker and / or block the ones you don't want to take freight from. They pay quickly. (Don't Expect Detention Pay) very seldom it get's approved. The Landstar app is really good because you update the Landstar system on your loads thru the head office in Jacksonville, FL.. The load board and alerts are good because you get the alert the same time the broker gets it. Some Landstar brokers don't like this and will just tell you the load is booked, even if it isn't. Landstar is a Hotshot friendly company for sure, whether it is Flatbed, Sprinter or Expedited Box. Overall a good company with standards and recourse for sketchy brokers. Like I said before, we just contract some of there loads, we don't lease to them. If you lease to them, you can only take there loads obviously. Good to start out with though, I guess. Hope this helps...

4. naval_superman

naval_superman Bobtail Member

May 24, 2016
    Wow thanks a lot. I just want to know I'm not going to go broke starting out with them. Only have been a company driver on dispatched loads so it'll be new to me and want to make sure that if I buy a new 1 ton and trailer I'll be able to make the payments for it. Thank you

5. MP-Ctek

MP-Ctek Bobtail Member

May 26, 2016

If you go the CDL route you will have no problem at all. If you go the less than 26k route, you will have very limited options and most likely struggle a little. You will definitely make it if your serious, CDL, IFTA, NMFTA, CVSA Certification, TWIC. Get everything you can get. Don't just get the bare minimum. If you need any help when you get your equipment give us a shout, we will be glad to help out.

6. Shawhawk

Shawhawk Bobtail Member

Feb 17, 2014
    Sacramento, CA
    Just wondering, is the ifta sticker a requirment because i saw some of the hot shot drivers doesnt have one

7. PGT

PGT Bobtail Member

Jun 6, 2016
    I am very curious about Landstar, as well. We own a Dodge 3500 with a 40 ft gooseneck trailer. My husband wants us to get our own authority, and we have started the process. However, after looking into all the expenses for insurance, drug testing, etc., I am just about sick. I just don't think we can afford to do this right now. He has a CDL, and can go get his haz-mat back if he needs to. Would Landstar maybe be a good option for us? We live in Kentucky, but fairly close to the Tennessee and Virginia borders. Please give me any insight you have.

8. Shawhawk

Shawhawk Bobtail Member

Feb 17, 2014
    Sacramento, CA
    I called landstar about being a Expediter(straight truck), they told me that i can run under their authority or have my own, if i ran it under mine i get better percentage if not its 65% or $1.50 a mile. I just dont know if IFTA is included with it, but it would be nice. I dont know about Hotshot with them maybe its the same thing, i'll be calling them soon as im also interested with it

PGT Thanks this.
  9. PGT

PGT Bobtail Member

Jun 6, 2016
    We already have IFTA decals. We had to do that to lease on to the carrier we were with previously.

10. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    IFTA is a little more than just having the stickers. Those decals are assigned to a fuel tax account. And require quarterly filings. Hopefully you are aware of this and just phrased you previous post poorly. If not..oh boy, better do some research.

Chasingthesky Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.