Anyone know about Radio Active Radios?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by psychocreep, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Run from RAR. Ipurchased a galaxy 95t several years ago fom them with the super wack pack, they did not even break the seals. When I recieved it I added the jumper for 11 meters, and I tuned it not for max, but for clarity.

On a motorola service monitor brought up the power to about 4 watts dead then tuned the audio on the scope till it flattopped and backed itoff till I had a god clean sine wave. It's plentyloudand crystal clear and does not get hot

I cal goto Jericos in Bakersfield theyknow how to tune am.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Superwav

Superwav Bobtail Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Monmouth, OR
    I was having problems getting out with my 16yr old 148GTL. I know I probably should've bought a new Connex or something, but I'm pretty nostalgic and I'm not looking to win any competitions. So, thanks to this forum, I sent my radio to Clay's in TX.

Not only was Clay awesome and informative to talk to on the phone, but his e-mails were very timely also. I ended up with a simple tune and a little echo, a set of 10K's, monster mounts, Astatic 636L, and a really big smile.

THANKS CLAY!!!!!!

4. Dave514

Dave514 Bobtail Member

Mar 22, 2013
    Scottsdale AZ
    I'm sorta mystified by all the anti-RAR reports. If as you all seem to think that they are that bad their reputation would have become a total minus quantity and they would have disappeared long ago. Seems to me they must be doing something right just to be in business for this long. I have a strong suspicion that there are a lot of sour gripes out there.

5. vintech

vintech Light Load Member

May 30, 2010
    I actually had a customer call them while standing in my shop and it was not pretty the way they talked to him. He never mentioned he was in another CB Shop but the first thing out of there mouth was what did you do to the radio all our radios are perfect when we send them out. Well the rest of the call didn't go very well. They don't like being called with complaints, The last thing you ever do is accuse the customer of having done something to damage the radio especially when all He did was say I'm having a problem with the radio I got from you and BAM he nailed him with "what did you do to the radio " ??? and it was not in nice tone of voice. I suppose He could have been having a bad day but he lost the man as customer and most likely allot more.. I will say that they talk the talk but all they really do is the same mod to all there radios and it's a 1 size fits all radios mod which doesn't work very well in operation.

6. Dave514

Dave514 Bobtail Member

Mar 22, 2013
    Scottsdale AZ
    vintech: I don't dispute your story but i do dispute the fact that if all the stories summed up a complete incompetence and even scamming by RAR they'd have been out of business years ago. It's like when Ebay started out, there were a lot of scammers there but by their swift action they disappeared in a cloud of camel crap. You don't stay in business on the internet very long if all you do is rip people off. There is a lot of jealousy by other CB Shops who would like to see them out of business.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  7. vintech

vintech Light Load Member

May 30, 2010
    I could care less about what business they do or don't get I only know from experience what they have been like with many customers not just the one I posted here about. I have done radio repair for living for over 43 years I have seen it all. We of course all know or should know that there are people in this business that say anything to destroy the reputation of another shop, I'm not one of those. But I don't give out information of this kind lightly and as far as being out of business if they are doing the customer wrong. Well I would have to say from what I know of them this could well be what happens to them, I only know what I have personally witnessed and I won't tell stories that are not true. I'm partially retired from the repair business so it's nothing to me I only work on radios now when I want to and I don't have a horse in this race anymore but I will tell it like I see it, If that don't settle well with those that like RAR well to bad! Now, I know a little about EBay and I can tell you it isn't the same thing. Ebay has complete control of who dose business on there site but they don't have any control over what those same people do on the rest of the internet it's not the same and it takes allot longer because customers can only complain and try to get the word out by word of mouth. A company setting up a web site on the internet could screw many thousands of customers in a real hurry before they are found to be not what they claim to be.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  8. kor b

kor b Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2008
    Just because Radio Active has been around awhile doesn't mean they are reputable. I've read enough about them on the internet to know they are one place I well never buy a radio from.

9. Turbo-T

Turbo-T Road Train Member

May 31, 2009
    While you make a good point, just because you sell crappy products doesn't always mean you'll be out of business soon. Heck look at the Chrysler corp. They've been building junk since the late 1970's and have been bailed out not once but twice. Yet somehow people continue to buy Chrysler products.

Here's one for you.....how comes radioactive doesn't list a street address anywhere on their website....? Are they afraid they're going to get a super whack packed radio come flying thru their window by an angered customer? I mean really....what "good" business doesn't list their street address? Or does radioactive really just work out of the back of a mobile camper somewhere in Oregon and moves around like a vagabond? That in itself should be the first red flag.

Furthermore, you have people who know a bad radio when they hear one, and you have those who think "as long as it has crunchy, splattery, distorted audio that allows me to be heard across 10 channels, plus your speakers and your TV, then by golly I must have the loudest super whack packed radio there is." The truth is once you get past 100% modulation, you no longer sound good, but some refuse to believe that.

About the only web board you will find that gives any kind of praise to radioactive is CBradiotalk.com and that's only because Bozo the board admin has some sort of under the table dealing with Mike the owner of radioactive, and quickly bans anyone/removes their posts dare they say a bad word about radioactive.

10. Dave514

Dave514 Bobtail Member

Mar 22, 2013
    Scottsdale AZ
    So them i guess you all have to admit that no matter how bad they are they must have fresh idiots everyday will to put out good money to get screwed and they've been doing for over 20 years. Well all i can say you naysayers are doing a lousy job. you should have put them out of business years ago.

11. Turbo-T

Turbo-T Road Train Member

May 31, 2009
    Gee Dave sounds like you must be a friend of RAR or maybe just a rep/co-worker of RAR going from CB board to CB board trying to give them a boost to help offset the negativity that's been going on about RAR for several years. Perhaps you'd like to fill us in on what the annual sales are, especially as compared to other CB shops such as Bells or GI Joes? Maybe you can also answer why RAR doesn't have a street address...? Heck how do you know RAR isn't just a side job for someone?

Yeah I have a full time job working for the government but I could also find time on the side to hack radios for extra cash if I lacked integrity. I could even put up my own website with my own cell to work from, but not advertise my address. And if my hack business went down, well I'd still have my government job to fall back on.

Something to think about. Actions do indeed speak louder than words.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.