Anyone know about Radio Active Radios?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by psychocreep, Sep 10, 2008.

1. thetez

thetez Medium Load Member

Jul 10, 2006
    i got a radio from them "super whack packed" or as it should be called "Super hack pack" it was horrible, it wouldn't stay on frequency and it sounded horrible, it had dirty power, and nothing about it was right, they put some crazy diode in between two things that did nothing but make sure it wouldn't talk on frequency. it was horrible, i ended up shipping it to pro tech radios shop and it is amazing now.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. thetez

thetez Medium Load Member

Jul 10, 2006
    I believe it.

I Also agree

That was my experience

I shipped mine out to get it fixed, and tuned properly and its amazing now! THe SWP made me think the radio was garbage.

Rat Thanks this.
  4. buck shot

buck shot Bobtail Member

Mar 30, 2009
    corinth, ms
    See my thread explaining what happened to me concerning RAR. I am not a happy customer and do not recomend them.

5. DirtyBusiness

DirtyBusiness Bobtail Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Ca
    I bought a radio from RA and it has worked great for two years now. I get great audio reports on it and have had no problems whatsoever with it.

6. boeing46

boeing46 Bobtail Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Garden Grove, Ca.
    I have visited their web site many times.
    I have not bought a radio from them yet.
    In the old days there were many small cb radio shops within a reasonable driving distance.
    I am impressed with a life time guarantee. I have never ever seen any type of mobile, cellular, tv or any other electronic place with a life time guarantee.
    Maybe they over tune their radio's but it seems too me they are trying to get max audio and a good clean receive and for people to ##### about it later because it's too loud is crazy. If a radio is tuned to the max is going to bleed across channels. Some would take it as a badge of honer.
    Most of the cb shops I used to frequent had a wannabe tech in the back and it was a crap shoot at best what you ended up with.
    I was lucky enough to work in maintenance at Boeing Long Beach Cal.
    We had about 60 real qualified techs and many were into Hams.
    They gave me allot of crap about being a cber but they knew radio's and did a great job and did it right.
    Today there are no cb shops and one ham place within 100 miles and they hate us cber's and I live near Disneyland.
    The only problem I have with RA is they won't touch my 148 or my Grant. They are partial to Galaxies.
    I don't need a new radio but after having my radio's for twenty-five years I would like to have them checked for whatever.
    They still talk very good and I get allot of good reports on the road of my clarity and carrier with an old Silver Streak 150.
    It talks great skip (the Grant).
    I would go to any shop that offers a lifetime guarantee when looking for a new cb shop rather than one that only gives a 30-60 day guarantee.
    It sounds like allot of the posts are people that have never bought anything from this company like myself. Some have and if there is a problem send it back.
    I will probably not buy anything from them because of my radio brands but need to find one (suggestions welcome).

7. Red Fox

Red Fox Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Acworth, Ga.
    Boeing: one thing you should understand is that if a radio is so strong it's bleeding over other channels, not only is this a great inconvenience to those trying to USE those other channels, but it is WASTE power that is not going out on the channel being broadcast on. It's like overfilling a garbage can and leaving the mess for someone else.
    Next, if it's not clear, it's not radio. 5x5 means "loud and clear". What good is loud if people have to keep asking you what you said? Over modulation also doesn't get you out farther, it just overwhelms other local modulation. Distance is done by carrier wave. I live 2 miles off the interstate...and often I hear the "big" radios fade out when some "regular" radios talking to them become a one-sided convo, as their carrier is better and gets the signal to my house.
    You ever heard a guy very far off talking and sound like he was down the street, clear and low? Carrier. If you're using power for modulation, you'll be on top in the truckstop, and that's a good thing. Because we can only hear the idiocy for a mile or two as we go by.

delta5 Thanks this.
  8. FriedTater

FriedTater Keeper of The Snakes

Mar 25, 2009
    United State of Texas
    Years back Mike was building some pretty good radios,with his advancement in popularity and sales volume he has recently"Gotten To Big For His Britches"
    He has so many other people working on radio's the quality has suffered in recent years.

I have acouple of his earlier builds that hit real hard
    and have never failed to measure up.
    Recently we staged a key down between two Gen. Lee's
    built by RAR.
    2 miles apart,10 miles triangulated to a local base in flat west Texas on Ch 9(dead quite)

My earlier build RAR Gen Lee destroyed the other radio
    that is just a few weeks old.
    I smashed him down on the high side to high side dual.
    My Low side smeared his high side pretty good two outta three go's.

I took down my tuned Predator and used a new untuned Wilson 2K(1:3 outta the box wasn't to bad)The other rig also ran a Wilson 2K tuned flat 1:1.

Again the point is the quality of RAR latest builds,which are more and more frequently coming up "junked".

With the advancement of the RFX mod by several shops
    The option for "Big Radios" just got must cheaper.
    The "cool factor" on extra channels is fading fast,the Gen Lee will always be a great radio,but the RFX modded Cobra,Uniden's are by far the better option in performance and most importantly "PRICE"!!

9. Red Fox

Red Fox Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Acworth, Ga.
    Dunno man, I miss my old 2950 Ranger - talking to Barbados or Jamaica (even tho I can hardly understand them) driving to work was a hoot.
    Some of those canadiyons you have to listen close to also, but that's an easy trip any day.

10. Sixx Burning Sky

Sixx Burning Sky Light Load Member

Aug 23, 2008
    With the advancement of the RFX mod by several shops
    The option for "Big Radios" just got must cheaper.
    The "cool factor" on extra channels is fading fast,the Gen Lee will always be a great radio,but the RFX modded Cobra,Uniden's are by far the better option in performance and most importantly "PRICE"!!

Have two radios that have had the RFX-75 installed [ One 25 & One Black Chrome 29 ].
    Both of these have turned out real nice and both stable,even while running these
    at slightly higher voltages. They both tend to run slightly hot if ya get a little long winded.

11. black_dog106

black_dog106 Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2009
    MA
    Hello gang: I also fell for the RAR hype on their website. I ordered a 4600 paying for RAR to give it their best.
    Out of the box it was scratchy on transmit. A few emails back and forth with RAR amounted to nothing. They told me it was my setup. I informed them that other radios worked fine in the truck. They told me to send it back and they would look at it and i would be charged bench time. i was P_SS_D. I almost smashed it with a hammer and mailed back the pieces.
    After i calmed down, i mailed it to a shop i have used several times before. He said he was familiar with RAR work and could correct radio. I got radio back with a note stating "debutchered talkback". It has been a great radio since then.
    That was my first and last radio from RAR.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.