Anyone know why the south have LOW LOW rates

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Ryan S2016, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Ryan S2016

Ryan S2016 Medium Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    I have been noticing a nasty trend with loads going through the south, namely South Carolina Georgia and Florida. The CPM is really low, I have seen some as low as 29 cents. How are these brokers finding haulers and why are they not pushing for more money. I pull a lot for United and Car-Max and did some research and the truth is Car-Max is charging a customer a hefty amount for a transfer and by the time it gets to me I am lucky if I am making 30% of it. Central is getting just as bad with some of these rates too. My plans are to go north more often but with bad weather in the North East routes can be tricky. I can tell you all honestly if I didn't own my truck, trailer and home outright I would be dead in the water.
    I hope with my decision to upgrade my truck and trailer I can see more profit. It's becoming a nightmare out here and for people like me who love this industry and type of work its discouraging to say the least.

bzinger and W900AOwner Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. No Clutch

No Clutch Bobtail Member

Apr 15, 2016
    MERIDIAN, MS
    Saturated market, too many fighting for the same lanes and preferred easy terrain.

4. little cat 500

little cat 500 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Abbottstown PA
  5. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Because there are to many people jumping in not knowing what they are doing. If he will do it for nothing I will do it for half of nothing.
    While they never make it in business they survive long enough to put many out. Then another solder takes their place.
    Not meaning to put down good OP's operating at low cost because they are efficient! Many carriers have charged high going to Fla. for years because they plan to come out empty. It is not worth their time and or trailer damage hauling scrap paper type loads but some make it work.
    If you can not make your minimum roll on! I can work for nothing at home.

DrDieselUSA, DRAGON64 and rollin coal Thank this.
  6. heavyhaulerss

heavyhaulerss Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    I thought it was Go west young man, go west?

Bakerman Thanks this.
  7. jeffman164

jeffman164 Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Set a minimum 50 cpm on Central and haggle the broker up from there . Usually get them up another $75.00 or so . If it doesn't work , I WON"T haul it !!

8. dlstruck

dlstruck Medium Load Member

Sep 8, 2016
    50 cpm? How and why are carriers going that cheap? I don't even look at loads that are less than $2 unless I've been sitting for a day. Never ran for less than $1.80. $0.50 would barely cover my expenses.

9. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Way to easy for people to get into this business, just get a pickup & a trailer and BAM-you're a business owner!

Ryan S2016 Thanks this.
  10. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    I think he meant $.50cpm per car

11. dlstruck

dlstruck Medium Load Member

Sep 8, 2016
    Oh #### I thought I was in the flatbed forum. No idea how I got here lol

Skate-Board Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.