Anyone pull this stuff?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by tnkrdrvr1979, Sep 1, 2015.

1. tnkrdrvr1979

tnkrdrvr1979 Bobtail Member

Sep 1, 2015
    Just curious about some of the Hazardous Materials pulled. I am new to the tanker business and it was suggested I may work on a dedicated route that hauls isocynates. Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this and thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I hauled hot asphalt and some was hazmat,very strong smelling stuff.I would suggest getting a face mask and when you open the manhole cover on top of the trailer keep your face away.

4. tolson

tolson Light Load Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Not sure why you are asking this question? You are a driver, you want to pull specialty chemicals. brace yourself, it is all dangerous whether it has placards or not. Isocyanates are esters used to make polyester. But really who cares, it is so concentrated it will kill you just the same.
    If it concerns you you might want to pull loads to Wal-mart DC's.

chalupa Thanks this.
  5. sshewins

sshewins Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    That's kinda harsh. It was, to the best of my knowledge, a legitimate question.

However, tolson does have a valid point about everything can kill you. Just be careful and use common sense. Borrow some if you need to. Lol

tnkrdrvr1979 Thanks this.
  6. Cali kid

Cali kid Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2011
    IE, CA
    You should be trained on whatever product your going to haul. At the very least the load should come with MSDS, that explains potential hazards. Like the other driver posted treat all products with respect and think twice, act once you will be fine.

GasHauler and tnkrdrvr1979 Thank this.
  7. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    Every job is duable if you think about your safety and others before the job it's self.

I've seen some things and some stuff.

tnkrdrvr1979 Thanks this.
  8. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

I pull liquid chocolate. Wait sorry! I thought we were talking about awesome loads.

9. tnkrdrvr1979

tnkrdrvr1979 Bobtail Member

Sep 1, 2015
    Well I guess the reason I asked the question is because I was curious what others may think who have more experience than I do regarding this. Being new to the tanker business or trucking industry for that matter, just curious if others had certain "limits" with regard to chemicals that they might not be comfortable with..
    Have worked in the aviation industry and have always tried to "manage risk" and there are conditions I am not comfortable flying in as well but have gained enough experience at this point to recognize that.
    Agree with Tolson on one point however that everything can kill you but would think we should all have enough sense to realize that and have no intention of running away to pull loads to the local Wal Mart. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

10. sshewins

sshewins Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I hauled some sweetner to Denver Monday. Never really knew what it looked like until the tank wash guys were asking about heel and such. It's a sweetner, but eeew 20150831_115405.jpg

11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I've done Walmart DC's and it's not what it's cracked up to be. It's just another grocery warehouse.

BigPerm and tnkrdrvr1979 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.