Anyone work for GreatWide?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by LadyDallasDriver, Sep 6, 2008.

1. TexasMike

TexasMike "Big Tex"

Jan 28, 2008
    Dallas/Ft. Worth
    This is somewhat what I have been looking for, have any more information on how it works? Rates and surcharge and stuff?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. -juice-

-juice- Bobtail Member

Sep 16, 2008
    like i said since we run a lot of locals they dont pay a lot,heres an example u can run a lod to mesquite 2 stops and back 60 miles it probably pays around 120 not a lot but u dont used a lot of fuel ,and thats what a lot of people have to get used to but if u do those between ur long loads 600 miles average than it pays off,i usually run about 1650 miles 7 lods ,4 of those 7 local lds and i take home around 1500 average after fuel and insurance,thats bein home everynight were prety much local drivers,as far as surcharge we get 100% of it i think right now were gettin 52 cents.

4. TexasMike

TexasMike "Big Tex"

Jan 28, 2008
    Dallas/Ft. Worth
    Sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. Now if I can just get them to call me back.

5. -juice-

-juice- Bobtail Member

Sep 16, 2008
    heres the local# at the terrell walmart dc (877)4316129 then option 0 then ask for connie at recruiting and leave a mssg

6. TexasMike

TexasMike "Big Tex"

Jan 28, 2008
    Dallas/Ft. Worth
    Thanks mate, much appreciated.

7. dsldriver

dsldriver Bobtail Member

Jun 13, 2008
    Clarksville, AR
    I've been with Greatwide here at the Wal-Mart DC in Clarksville, AR for going on 6 years. There's been issues come up from time to time, but overall I'd say they've been great to run for.

It takes some time for a new driver to get used to the way things are done. Working off the "board" can make or break you. Main thing is to pick your loads wisely and be available in case someone falls off a load. When someone falls off a load, dispatch grabs whoever is close and doesn't go by the board. They just don't have time.

The lease/puchase plan for the tractor is probably as good as the ones offered by most companies. Keep it moving and keep it maintained, and you should be fine.

Lee

8. azcardnlz

azcardnlz Medium Load Member

Oct 4, 2006
    Indianapolis, IN
    Greatwide pays differently depending on which terminal you work out of. Sometimes the pay is different even at the same terminal if you haul for different companies. My mileage rate is .91 loaded and .85 empty. If I haul a Kroger load, all miles are payed as loaded, even if empty, and fuel surcharge is usually .10 higher. It's like a bunch of smaller, different companies all working under the same name.

Greatstart trucks are leased through a third party vendor. And it's a true third party, not a company owned by the same company (i.e. Prime.) Trucks are leased by ATBS Leasco. Lease includes ATBS accounting services, and ATBS maintenance program. Leasco also leases the same trucks to companies like Forward Air and HVH Transportation.

When you see Greatwide trucks looking kind of ragged, just remember that they are likely owner operator trucks. You may see all kinds out there. I was at the Deleware, OH terminal and saw an old JB Hunt cabover parked next to a nice new Western Star.

Hope this helps.

TexasMike Thanks this.
  9. TexasMike

TexasMike "Big Tex"

Jan 28, 2008
    Dallas/Ft. Worth
    Thanks to both of you, your responses are greatly appreciated.

I'm glad to know that ATBS is the company being used over at Greatwide, I've heard good things about them.

The company I'm currently with also uses ATBS as their leasing agent, and the program looks to be good. I'm still considering Greatwide, but depending on how the package works at my company I might just stick with them instead of moving. I'm VERY happy with them, but didn't even know they did O/O stuff till about two weeks ago.

10. Ric

Ric Bobtail Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Auburn,NY
    My husband has signed on with them. Not going very well. He wished he had shopped around. He has been driving 32 years. He has been stuck in texas for days. Loads going out are minimal or they pay nothing. They had him deadhead to Kansas 1500 miles to get a load then when he got there they faxed the permits. Next morning no load. They compensated him nothing for the fuel nor for the permits or his time. Then they wanted the permits back too 750 dollars worth but they took the 750 out of his weekly settlement. They found a load TX to WI paying 2000.00. No trip # was given so Hubby got onthe computer and found one TX to NEV paying 3750. They are trying to terminate him for wanting the 2nd load. Nobody is taking the first load because there are load restrictions. It has a stop and then you have to drive 1000 miles to WI in 24 hours. My husband called safety and they said no way also. The guy got mad when my husband said what safety said. The man says well I got special approval from my supervisor etc They turned off his fuel card etc. He is stranded and there response is "thats your problem". They would not let him take the Nev load either. DOT and safety are not a concern I guess. My husband owns the truck but not the trailer. Since when can he not take his own loads? He is an owner operator. He is not leasing the truck. Read the contract close before you agree to anything. Another DM driver was present to witness all of this and he called to question it as well. We are still trying to get this worked out. They show a big list of all they do for drivers and they take the risk etc. Trust me they have done nothing in regard to risk and as far as the credit to help there is none.We are looking around for something else

11. Bigray

Bigray Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    did ya'll cacth the news, that GW has filed for REORGANIZATION CH. 11 HEARD IT OVER THE RADIO on mon or tues.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.