Appeals Court tosses DOT’s 11-hour rule and 34-hour restart

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Bunny, Jul 24, 2007.

1. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    LogsRus/

I JUST WANT TO SCREAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

Me, too.:dmage:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Thanks! Maybe had I gotten this message prior to work I might of had fun today, but NO NO NO, NO FUN TODAY :biggrin_25512:
    Boring day, but got a few things done:biggrin_25518:

have a great nite:biggrin_255:

4. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    I can still live with a 10 and 14. What really really blows is that blasted 70 hr thing, and then loosing the 34 hr restart. Those two things make it extremely hard to make any kind of living with today's prices.

Once again, CRASH, PATT, the gooberment, and the courts show that they have absolutely NO clue about any thing truck related and not the least shred of common sense in them either.

5. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi

Oh no my friend :) What you will see, is a new Congressional Hearing. Asking trucking companies "Why are you gouging the public?" when the price of groceries go up. And, public outcry when fresh produce...isn't fresh anymore.

They think there is a truck driver shortage now....just wait. Oh I almost forgot...we're about to be flooded with 10's of thousands of non-english speaking truck drivers...sorry. That's a matter for another public...debacle/debate.

Bumber Snicker.... It ain't fresh at 55

Add a twist....It aint fresh, if it takes 5 days to get it across the country.

6. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    I predicted about 2 yrs ago that within 20 yrs OTR truck will be over completely for any solo driver. Looks like I might be a few yrs short on my estimate.

With the HOS getting really stupid more and more companies are going to mandate teams for all ops, and if that doesn't work they are going to go to the shuttle system that Swift and Werner already apply across at least parts of I 80. Where drivers will run 4.5 or 5 hrs one way, swap trailers and return to home base. I also predict that eventually trailers will become like the rail cars.... a big co-op and every body pays in and uses the equipment they need. That will make the shuttle ops work a lot smoother. All this will result in the independent O/O being pushed farther out of the market.

7. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Texas
    It is the Wal-Mart effect. More and more, the small business owner and customer service has no place in society.

Things are rapidly changing. It wasn't "that" long ago, that I could pull into a fuel island with my truck, give the attendant the "thumbs up" (indicating to them to fill both tanks), and I could go inside to the bathroom, go to the fuel desk, pay for my fuel, and leave with my tanks full and windows clean. And somehow, that was done with diesel at less than a buck per gallon :)

I wish I had been born about 20 years earlier and could be retiring right about now, LOL.

8. Peeping_Tom

Peeping_Tom Light Load Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Sharpsburg, Ga
    i just wish they would leave well enough alone. by the time you figure it out they go and change it again. they are so determined to make it harder and harder to make a dollar out here. i personally run the 8/2 splits, it's easier and i make more money doing it. but i suggest if you don't understand how too run it then stay with the 10's.

9. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana

Thanks for helping me prove a point here on split breaking. I heard from another driver you can make more money split breaking (wonder if it is you?? l.o.l.)
    Isn't split breaking very easy?? I need you to go to my split breaking thread and make the same statement as I am trying to teach these drivers it is worth to learn :). Sorry off subject.

Lets not get to worked up over the "new HOS" it isnt final just yet. It make be another year or 2 and it might be 9-12 they change. Grrr then you will only be allowed to drive 10 hours in that 14 hour period & no 34 hour restart.

I know I hate it all to:yes2557:

10. class441

class441 Light Load Member

Jun 24, 2007

Are you sure you are using it right? Because when I use it now, it is a violation unless you do it this way:

EXAMPLE: 9 hrs driving...8 hr break...1 hr driving...2 in the sleeper getting unloaded, and one hr to get to parking somewhere...DONE. You must take another 10 hrs now, even though you are fully awake from the 8 hr break.

11. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana

No you can continue to split break, you did not have to take that 10 hour break

9 hrs driving
    8 hr break
    1 hr driving
    2 sleeper
    1 hr driving

You have 9 hours to still drive if you would like. YOu can split break all year long if you would like. As long as you do it correctly.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.