Appeals Court tosses DOT’s 11-hour rule and 34-hour restart

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Bunny, Jul 24, 2007.

1. knighted

knighted Bobtail Member

Jul 28, 2007
    LA
    This is what is eventually going to happen. Fleets will reduce to hybrid expiditers. Drivers will travel no further than 250 miles from terminal. All OTR will cease to exist as everything is going to be shipped by rail. Only with certain exceptions will things be shipped by big trucks. This exception will cost huge money, require multiple permits, and the license will be an ungodly amount of cash to attain.

Any violation of any kind will get you fired. Any type of accident will get you a minimum of 2 years prison time, no questions asked.

If the quack organization Public Citizen is so d#### concerned for the safety of the roads maybe they should look into edumacating the public. Require classes and PSA's showing 4 wheelers the dangers of cutting off big trucks. The vast majority of all accidents between cars and trucks, it is found to be the cars fault. Yet, the driver still pays because it was "preventable."

Public Citizen, everyone matter of fact, needs to stop making our lives harder and needs to start looking at where the problem really lies. Class C driver "education." We are doing all we can. If that's not good enough, then maybe - hint - the problem is elsewhere.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buck and a half

buck and a half Mr. Miles & Miles with Many Smiles

Aug 11, 2006
    madison,me
    I was listening to summers,bozos son on the truckers channel the other day and they were calling in on that show that in order to get your full 70 back you would need 72 hrs off duty if you count the eight day week and run all your hours out to get home. Logs r us,can you explain further,I heard these folks talking it but was confused onj how it requires 3 days instead of 2 days off. Too tired to put it all on paper to figure it out. I ,like the rest of you are nearly expired from all these regs we are supposed to do,what ever happened to good old plain and simple truck driving. There seems to be more people and politicians against us and involved with us pro and con,than our actual congress,it just involes more folks and makes new jobs for them,with that money they are taking from us drivers more and more.I may be off base here,but,I can tell you all one thing I have been told by a few Dot sitting at a table,some of them are feeling sorry for us too,they said it used to be mostly checking the safety of the equipment,now they are expected to pick apart our logs with a fine tooth comb,used to be ct in the 70's and early 80's,and md,today and yeasterday ,especially the perryville scales at the bridge on 95 n. It is pretty bad when they actually say they feel bad for us too.

4. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

Where the 3 days comes in is when you burn thru your 70 in 5 or 6 days, you'll have to sit until the 9th day when you get hours back from the first day of your 8 day period.

day #

1. 14 hrs
    2. 14 hrs
    3. 14 hrs
    4. 14 hrs
    5. 14 hrs
    6. 0
    7. 0
    8. 0
    9. 14 hrs available again. On day 9 you get back what you used on day 1. As long as you don't exceed 70 hrs in 8 days.

If you work 12 hr days then it would look like this.

1. 12
    2. 12
    3. 12
    4. 12
    5. 12
    7. 0
    8. 0
    9. 12

In order to keep running EVERY day you would not be able to be on duty any more than an average of 8.75 hrs a day. While it might be nice to not have to work any harder than that, we all know it is not a reality in the trucking world. If that were to be forced on OTR drivers the interstates would become a parking lot, as trucks shut down along side the highways, because there is not any where close to enough parking now at truck stops.

5. BobC

BobC Medium Load Member

Jul 8, 2007
    Cincinnati, slOhio
    You're just a regular ray of sunshine aren't you?:biggrin_25525:

6. class441

class441 Light Load Member

Jun 24, 2007
    I think they should let it be 63 hrs driving, the only thing line 4 does is then start and end your clock and keep track of what you did where. Most of us log 15 minutes here and there, maybe an hr a day no matter if it took that or not and companies don't believe it when it takes an hr to get in, drive down the road and hook to an mt sometimes. So why don't the only thing that counts against your 70 be line 5: driver unload. That causes fatigue. Nothing else really does besides driving.
    So with the 63, you can go over your 70 all you want and finally log exactly how much time all this crap takes without getting smacked in the face counting against your drive time. Line 5 for mechanical, fuel, dock, tire check, etc...hehe. Why not. Then you never have to worry about adding it all up. If you want to waste time, it doesn't help you run out hrs. If it takes a lot of time, it doesn't ruin your day.
    Creative loggers can still get 3600 miles or more, and people that deal with delays can still do well. People that want to bust and get driving in and take a break will get their break.
    You'll never have to take 10 hrs and turn it into 8 hrs left over for driving. The 14 hr rule takes care of fatigue, now a 10 hr driving rule again with no reset. Now we need to play our cards. That's just my thoughts on what card we can play.
    If you don't use up an hr, take some time to check your tire pressure, roll em around and really inspect them, log the time you clean your windows, do ppwk, plan your trips, etc. Throw it all on there. Some people think they have to hurry through important stuff to save time. I know, I am guilty too. I want to make everything 15 minutes no matter what it takes sometimes. Kick the tires and go, can't run out of hrs...
    I would love to log that I checked the weather, put air in my tires, shoveled snow, swept my floor, got directions, went over hazmat briefing, etc. Without penalty. If I have a slow day I can look on my logs "well, here's what happened mr fleetmanager...had to shovel snow so I could do my pretrip, clean the mud and crap out of my truck after i got back in it, went online to double check the weather and traffic so i knew I could leave safely." "WOW? Good Job!" Instead of, "Well, use your time more wisely, we have to get rolling faster than that, you showed a 15 minute pretrip and off duty before that."

7. radiorambo

radiorambo Light Load Member

Aug 5, 2007
    Rochester,Mn
    This getting just crazy. Who keeps pushing this crap? Leave it be already sheesh!

8. curtislyn

curtislyn Light Load Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Montgomery, AL

That is if you are only logging on 1 log book.
    :biggrin_2559:

9. Brickman

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

This website does not condone those activities. I won't do that because the punishment for falsifying logs is too great.
    There are guys in jail because a drunk ran a red light, hit a truck and got killed. The judge said if he hadn't been running on a false log he would not have been there to get hit when the drunk ran the red light.
    Or how about the guy that ran over hours to get home and the car that ran off the road and hit his parked semi in his driveway. That driver is also in jail because if he had been logging legal he would not have had his truck there for the motorist to hit.

Spending ANY time in the big house is not worth it to me, to run an extra load or two of freight.

10. 2xR

2xR Medium Load Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Ol' North State
    And, yet people ask, "What made Timothy McVeigh go crazy enough to do what he did?"

If confronted with such an abstract legal tactic that appeared to be about to send me to the big house, I'm pretty sure I'd be tempted to "lash out", and, commit a crime that would be worth the time.

11. Brickman

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

Does MX have extradition with the US? The Bahamas? Jamaica? :biggrin_255: :biggrin_255: :biggrin_255:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.