Application was just accepeted for PRIME. Start orientation January

Discussion in 'Prime' started by Broshears, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Broshears

Broshears Medium Load Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Pleasant Hill, Mo
    I've done research and talked to many lease operators and plan on talking to a few on here before I do make the decision.

My biggest complaint overall at the moment in my situation my codriver has a habit of liking to stop for extended periods of time to "eat " I'm not talking like 30 minsurance I'm talking over an hour long time while I understand yes it is nice to be able to sit and have a meal but doing it on a daily or almost daily basis is cutting into my pocket, we also have different mindsets on how we should run. As I stated before I like to run hard and get to our 90 and hopefully drop early and or have load repower on the other hand if be knows we have time on the load or well be there way before our appointment he will not try to have load repower ed or anything he'll just wait for the the fleet manager to decide what to do. There are many other issues but I won't go into them as I don't want to bash him he's a good guy and a good trainer but I think he still thinking as a company driver in a way and not really as a business owner with an employee (me).

darthanubis and FullMetalJacket Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. redoctober83

redoctober83 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    Glad to hear you're doing well out there. You should have said hi while you were in the Northwest. I would have gotten some coffee or something.

Smart move on going solo. It doesn't matter how good you get along with someone, after a few weeks in that 8x8 padded cell together for 24 hours you'll get in each other's nerves. Why else do you think our prisons give the inmates time to leave there cells and get away from there cellmates? They would have a lot of injured or dead people on there hands of they didn't do that, lol.

Fuel is the biggest thing to watch out for around here. The macro 27 does help, but use all the other tools you have to find the best price as well.

Be careful with a short lease. A lot of times those trucks are problem children. If you're picking the short lease just to try it out in your own first, remember it's a walk away lease. The only thing you would be on the hook for is the remainder of your deferred lease payment, any negative balances you have, having it detailed, and any repairs that aren't covered under warranty. So I would recommend a new tractor that you can break in yourself and know all of its secrets from the beginning.

PM me if you have any questions or give me a call I'm always available by phone while driving.

darthanubis and FullMetalJacket Thank this.
  4. Broshears

Apr 5, 2010
    Pleasant Hill, Mo
    Will do yeah I would have but was dealing with issues with ra on a empty I picked up once that was cleared up we was sent to Washington which is a beautiful state I may say lol. Well definitely you if I have any questions which I'm sure I will I'll have to see if I have your number still I got a new phone so lost all my old contacts .

I didn't think about that in regards to the truck, so I'll probably go with a new one in that case, I think it's for the best I do go solo it sucks as he did ask if I would stay with him until October so he has someone to run his truck while he is on vacation, which I said I would if it would work out as teaming but with our differences I don't think it'll last till October before one of us tries to kill the other lol

darthanubis Thanks this.
  5. FullMetalJacket

FullMetalJacket Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Vagrant
    Definitely have to have someone of like mind to run team. BIG TIME.

My first co-driver was very similar first few weeks, but only because he did not know better. We came to mutual agreement right from the start, then ran like h### for over over a year. Wound up a great team. We were both new, and learned together & from each other, as each had different strong & weak points.

Only prob I had was the rare occasions we did stop or sit. Could not sleep in the truck w/him at same time, as he snored louder than anything you ever heard in your life. Had an old Century that was loud, so when we were running, no prob.

Wonderful experience, though, as he was a great guy, fantastic driver, and we had a similar work ethic & thinking, even though he was half my age. We ran our ###'s off, and ran that that truck over the million mile mark. Kinda miss running with that schmuck from time to time. We had a lot of good times.

It CAN work. You just have to be lucky enough to find the right match, and that is difficult. Even with a good match, living in that little box 24/7/365.......there are going to be times both of you want to strangle the other. But, it's all how you go about handling it. Has to be open & honest communication.

Know you have been serious & working hard at it, & definitely have seen you have the drive, ambition, & mindset to do extremely well out here.

As always, best to you whatever route you decide. Always here to help anytime you need.

:biggrin_25525:

6. FullMetalJacket

Oct 16, 2013
    Vagrant
    Can personally vouch that redoctober83 will be an invaluable source of info for you concerning leasing. A more detail oriented person, I have never met. Both concerning trucks themselves, and records & accounting.

Man, wish IronPony was still here to help you along. One of the most knowledgeable & helpfull guys I have ever had the pleasure to meet.

darthanubis, redoctober83 and bigred81 Thank this.
  7. andytalllurch

andytalllurch Light Load Member

Jan 15, 2015
    Atlanta, Ga
    Fmj is right, I want to start a prime thread. Gonna call it followers to the word of iron pony... haha there are alot of people outside the corporate circle to get wisdom from too. It seems scary at first. But YOU are the captain then. Beware of turned in trucks. And make sure to go over the maintence record with a fine tooth comb.

8. Broshears

Apr 5, 2010
    Pleasant Hill, Mo
    Well y'all it'd come down to it I'm going solo. Codriver and I butted heads and he was wanting me to do unsafe things that almost caused an accident so to protect my license as well as my sanity i told him when he gets back on the truck from home time I will be getting off of the truck.

It's for the best he has taught me many things and for that I appreciate it. However I have learned all I can from him and I need to move onto my own and start expanding my knowledge.

I'm excited for the future and to see what I am able to achieve.

Currently sitting at the Petro in Amarillo TX waiting for 01 to be ready with load.

9. Broshears

Apr 5, 2010
    Pleasant Hill, Mo
    Figured I would update y'all been a while. Currently I'm sitting at my 90 in Bay City, Mi.

Been running mostly the North East, and Southeast for the most part been doing good. Only gone in the negative once and that was a mess up on payrolls end and was fixed quickly.

I have to say holidays suck, sitting and waiting because of a shipper or reciever decided to take a 4 day weekend ugh, other then that its the same ol same ol. Getting loads in on time, Making the money.

My truck just rolled over 50k a week and a half ago and had her first PM, everything went smoothly until we went to replace the fuel filters and noticed on the small one that it was full of metal shards so going to have to keep an eye out on that.

Taken about two weeks off for home time, Took 4 days off down in Florida to see my best friend, and her family. Then my mom had a surgery two weeks after that so took a week off for that and always came out in the positive.

I have to say though after spending time with friends and family I can see why the turn over rate in this Industry is high. After seeing my bestfriend, her two young sisters and her own daughter who are like family to me i had a rough couple of days and i managed through them some how i do not know how but i did I couldn't imagine doing this job with a Wife or Kids at home and not being able to see them on a regular basis i guess i should be thankful I'm single with no kids and no wife.

I hope you all are staying safe out there keeping the shiny side up. I'll try to be more active on here but usually to tired to do much of any thing besides watch an episode of my TV show and then go to sleep.

10. FullMetalJacket

Oct 16, 2013
    Vagrant
    Glad to hear it's going well.

I could tell you have your head on straight from when we met.

Till I run into you again (figuratively, not literally!)............keep it up, & keep it safe.

:hello2:

PEACE Bro

darthanubis and redoctober83 Thank this.
  11. redoctober83

redoctober83 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    If you've been staying in the northeast this whole time, I'm sure we have run past each other. I've found running up there is more profitable for me. Though this past weekend, I needed to get away for my sanity :drunken:, so went to Texas and now this weekend I found a really nice load heading to Seattle.

When I get get back to the northeast we should try and grab a coffee or something.

Good luck out there!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.