Apu ACS error

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Dmj6151, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Dmj6151

Dmj6151 Bobtail Member

Jun 21, 2016
    Hello everyone.
    I have a Thermo-king Tri-Pac APU. that throws error ACS or AC5 as soon as i chose ac option. It will run on heat and fan no problem. As soon as i start the AC it will run for about 7-8 seconds, then will shut down. After doing some search i getered these possibilities.
    Are there any other ones?
    1. Low pressure sensor, It is located on the dryer, i replace it).
    2. High pressure sensor, (where is located, couldn't find it)?
    3. Belt needs to be tighten, could that be a problem?
    4. Condenser radiator may need to be cleaned
    5 Reset button.
    6. Bad fuse
    7 Any other ideas???

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. samjward

samjward Light Load Member

May 20, 2016
    ACS means you are probably out, low, or leaking freon. A sensor can also cause this, but I don't know from my experience how often they fail. Wait a day, and then try to use it. Does it work then? Does it work longer than 7-8 seconds? Does it still fail? If so, I'm thinking a freon issue.

4. Dmj6151

Dmj6151 Bobtail Member

Jun 21, 2016
    we vacuumed the system and recharged it again.
    we tighten the belt
    we changed the binary pressure switch
    all fuses are ok
    need to check the fan on the condenser
    than nothing left that i can check or?
    Ty all

5. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    AC5 is either low freon or high discharge pressure. Did you check to make sure the reset button wasn't tripped after you did the repairs?

If the condenser fan doesn't run, the high side will skyrocket in a few seconds if it's at all hot outside.

Check my thread here for saving a couple hundred bucks on a fan.

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...rmarket-condensor-fan-for-tri-pac-apu.314153/

Or, if you prefer, SPAL has a website where you can buy the OEM for a lot less than TK wants. Google it.

6. Domin

Domin Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2019

7. Domin

Domin Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2019
    CODE IS AC5. I just replaced the fan from O'Reilly auto parts which is $73.the holes aren't lined but I used one bolt from the old one and the rest is zip tied, EASY tested working good.the tri pac engine was working for 1 to 2 minutes and shutoff and giving me AC5.am all good with the new fan now good luck guys. I am posting the pictures.

Attached Files:

8. JLP

JLP Bobtail Member

Sep 30, 2018
    My unit shut down displaying an ACS code, I tried restating it again and noticed the condenser fan was not turning when the compressor switched on. I disconnected the power plug to the fan and noticed it was not closed all the way. It had been raining earlier so that made me think there may be a bad connection. I started the unit again and used a test light to check for power to the fan. There was no power so I opened the control box and tested the fuses. The 20 Amp fuse was bad, replaced it and the fan works fine now. The weather proof plug letting in moisture may have been the problem or the fan motor may be drawing too much amperage because it is going bad, only time will tell.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.