APU Fault

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by RobEvans, Nov 23, 2015.

1. RobEvans

RobEvans Bobtail Member

Sep 18, 2015
    Anybody know what this fault means, I think it only happens when the heat is on.

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RobEvans

RobEvans Bobtail Member

Sep 18, 2015
    Heat was set at 63F

4. Neverready

Neverready Medium Load Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Pocomoke City, Md.
    Alternator code, will come up if your tripac .alternator fails or if Tripac stalls/ fails to start. The code will come up if it stalls because system is on but not producing enough or any current. If your Tripac was running and this comes up it likely is the alternator. You can clear the code by shutting down system completely then restarting

5. bavarian

bavarian Heavy Load Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Winnipeg
    The same code came up this morning. It's charging but the voltage on the inverter display seems slightly higher than usual. It runs a few minutes and shuts down displaying the code.
    Is it overcharging? Usually it shows about 13.3-13.5V
    Now it's getting up to 13.8V. Still no reason to throw an overcharge IMO. Is there a regulator or governor?

6. bavarian

Feb 13, 2014
    Winnipeg
    After clearing the code and restart it did the same three times. I think it's time for the alternator after about 3800 hrs.
    How complicated is an upgrade from the standard 65Amp to the 125Amp version?

7. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    FYI, you can turn off 'APU' and still turn on heat to keep warm until you get it fixed.

Alt code means it's not charging properly but could be a wiring issue also.

8. bavarian

Feb 13, 2014
    Winnipeg
    Thanks for the info. This is exactly what I'm doing as long as its not colder than - 20C. I use the unit only to preheat the engine or precharge the batteries in the morning.
    After driving a few hours now I've checked once more. Turned the bunkheater on to force the APU to come on and the Voltage went up to 14.3V which I've never seen before. The regulator might be gone. I call TK tomorrow and see what they say. Maybe they have a regulator in stock. If not I'll find one.

9. bavarian

Feb 13, 2014
    Winnipeg
    On my way home yesterday I purchased a regulator.
    At home I removed the lower part of the housing began replacing the regulator and found two wires corroded and broken. Both were related to the regulator. Put new regulator in and unit runs like it should again.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.