Apu without AC/heat

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by w0lfpack91, Apr 26, 2016.

1. w0lfpack91

w0lfpack91 Bobtail Member

Jul 8, 2015
    Does anyone know of a good reliable diesel APU that does not have heat or AC attached. The reason is my truck has the electric EPU under the bunk already and a large 3000watt inverter. Well when running all my electronics computer, TV, EPU, fridge, in certian areas and weather the marker lights my auxiliary battery's on the frame under catwalk can drain in a matter of 4 hours killing power to save the starting batteries. However my truck also does not have the auto start on the engine to compensate, I think is a bit strange given the full electric anti idle. I'm looking into a few things like having westernstar/freightliner add the optimised idle system to my Detroit for battery voltage and engine temp in winter, but that system has its flaws, another is the idea of an apu for only electric with a higher output to charge the battery's with out the engine. Anyone have any ideas most everywhere wants as much as 10,000 and don't offer units without climate control. While I I don't much care about cost as a determining factor I also don't want to have to pay extra for a system I already have equiped.

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    Use any diesel generator with remote start to charge batteries or run power . Sometime ebay have them really cheap

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  4. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Use a cheap gas generator instead of the inverter to run your electronics until lights out.

dunchues Thanks this.
  5. w0lfpack91

w0lfpack91 Bobtail Member

Jul 8, 2015
    I thought about that route too but when I actually got to looking That is a bit easier said than done most the big stuff is factory wired to the aux batteries, it would take more time to rip apart the sleeper and find all the wiring and to run it to an external generator that it would be to just wire a generator directly to the auxiliary batteries and starting batteries. That and the cabinet's everything are all built into are made of wood, the TV and computer I may be able to get away with that with the fridge epu and marker lights still account for probably 70% of the drain

6. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Should be a way to just link in the generator into your system without rewiring everything. Just like using the trucks engine to power the batteries but using the generator instead.

But I am neither a diesel mechanic nor electrical engineer... But it looks good on paper.

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  7. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Then you can also hook a battery charger to the generator and run it that way. Or they even have 12v connections on some generators.
    [​IMG]

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  8. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl

I went the gas generator route.

I have the Honda 3000. It is 100X quieter than any APU or diesel generator out there. I've had mine for almost a year now. Its been flawless,.. absolutely no complaints. Works everywhere,.. all elevations,.. all temps from frigid neg temps to triple digits,.. not even a wimper.

It has a 12amp DC out put built in as well as 30amp and 20amp A/C outlets. The A/C voltage is regulated with a built in inverter. It mimics exactly what household current it,.. so safe for all electronics,.. TV, Computers etc. Electric start,.. and oh,.. did I mention how quiet it is?

I wired up a 4 outlet household outlet in the cabinet off the 30amp plug.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is a smaller version,.. the 2000 I think. I chose the 3000 because it will run for over 20hrs per tank. Good for not wanting to run out of power while you're sleeping.

I think in your case,.. a smaller generator charging your batteries is all you need. They have AC to DC converters if you get one that does not have a built in DC output. I think it would be pretty simple and cheap to set up versus trying to get a diesel APU or generator installed.

Hurst

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
    MidWest_MacDaddy Thanks this.
  9. AirborneLegg13T

AirborneLegg13T Light Load Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Albuquerque NM
    How do you prevent your Honda from walking away? Or are you counting on stealth?

10. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    [​IMG]

Its mounted in the box, and I have pad locks on both box doors. One for the generator and another for the fuel cans.

Truth is if someone intends on stealing your ish.. besides standing guard with a shotgun.. there is not much you can do to stop it. The locks and hardware and there to keep the honest people honest.

Hurst

11. Dominick253

Dominick253 Heavy Load Member

Nov 19, 2015
    How is it pulling in to get gas? Get a lot of funny looks? Jk.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.