Are there any paid CDL training programs in Georgia?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by bluejet, Aug 29, 2016.

1. bluejet

bluejet Light Load Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Anyone know?

I know swift has one in Georgia, but I don't want to drive with them since they are now putting cameras in the cabin facing you at all times.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    Well Millis Transfer has a CDL school in Cartersville. They don't pay you the 3 weeks your in school.

123456 Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Those private schools on that list are best.
    Central Refrigerated on that list is now Swift.
    The state of Georgia may pay for cdl school for under-employed or unemployed; Google : Workforce Investment Act Georgia. Also the Hope Grant in Georgia that pays for technical & cdl school using lottery proceeds.

Millis Transfer and Roehl Transport have their own cdl school in Georgia. I think you need about $500.00 upfront though; not positive.

SHOJim Thanks this.
  5. lagging

lagging Medium Load Member

Aug 27, 2016
    Atlanta Ga
    I'm about to start school on oct 12 at west Georgia technical college and the cost is only $180 after the workforce and hope grant which 99% of people recieve and it's a 220 hr course 3-1 driver teacher ratio and already talked to a lot of companies od, abf, averitt just to name a few and all say that it is an acceptable school

6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Probably all tanker companies hire from those technical school. Trimac Transportation is one and you can make $100K+ after qualifying for their "Elite Fleet."
    I have a good list of tanker companies that hire new cdl grads if you're interested.

7. lagging

lagging Medium Load Member

Aug 27, 2016
    Atlanta Ga
    Does age really matter I'll be 22 about a week before and some of the companies I check want you to be 23-25

Chinatown Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    CTL Transportation hires at 21.
    Schneider Bulk hires at 21.
    Superior-Carriers hires at 21.
    Not sure about the others.

@lagging - edited in bold letters.

Check these that hire new cdl grads. They all do even if the websites have "experience required."
    Girton Propane Service
    McKenzie Tank Lines
    Trimac Transportation
    SVTN
    Tidewater Transit

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Check Jim Palmer Trucking. They hire GA drivers and have their own cdl school. They will provide transportation to their school in Montana plus meals and lodging. May as well get used to traveling long distances early on.

10. bamalife123

bamalife123 Light Load Member

May 22, 2016
    ALABAMA
    Yup this guy knows what he's talking about that's what i did and now i'm a CDL holder fixing to go to orientation. West Ga was a great program learned a lot there and had a ton of road time actually driving dry van, Tanker, Flatbed we did it all. If there a option for the OP i would go there if i were you. By the way which campus you going to @lagging if you don't mind me asking.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.