Are there any ranking of carrier safety scores?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by MosquitoBandito, Sep 27, 2016.

1. MosquitoBandito

MosquitoBandito Bobtail Member

Aug 15, 2016
    Chicago, IL
    I am just starting out, and I am trying to do as much research as possible before selecting a carrier to work for. One of the things I would like to check are safety scores. I see that you can look up an individual carrier's safety score on the FMCSA site, but I don't see anywhere that ranks them on a list. Ideally I would like to get a list of mid to large size carriers that accept drivers with no experience, and find out which ones have the highest trend of safety scores.

Is there a site where I can compare them?

If there isn't, I will make a list of these carriers and look up each individual one, and post the results here.

Thanks for your help!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    There is no high trend of safety.

Workplace injuries or deaths should be ZERO. That is safety. You cannot trend 50 companies who don't wreck or kill people.

MosquitoBandito Thanks this.
  4. MosquitoBandito

MosquitoBandito Bobtail Member

Aug 15, 2016
    Chicago, IL
    I figured that. Truck driving is a dangerous occupation, and companies that accept new drivers with no experience are bound to have worse scores. I just don't want to inadvertently work for one of the "bottom feeders".

5. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    If they send recruiters to schools, they are bottom feeders.
    If they will allow rookies to train students, they are bottom feeders.
    If they have lease programs for rookies, they are bottom feeders.

"What is a rookie, Six?"

Bare minimum definition: a driver with less than 12 consecutive months behind the wheel.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    Bean Jr., passingthru69 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  6. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    What you are looking for is buried in several layers of FMCSA news releases. The best way is to just look up their CSA scores here.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    x1Heavy Thanks this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I recall a old mine report on a wall of a gaurd shack, for some reason it stuck in my head, it was from the 50's

A rookie standing in knee high water trying to kick a junction box to activate a conveyer. It nuked him....

8. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    Not necessarily. New drivers are fresh out of school and therefor more likely to do things "by the book." whereas the old school seasoned veterans tend to have more of a "my way or the highway" mentality, which is what gets them in trouble with log book and equipment violations.

You are very smart to check companys' scores beforehand. Too many people don't think to do that.

9. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    What you just posted does not jive with what a safety person at Crete told me several months ago. Almost 65% of their accidents, incidents and bad inspections are coming from drivers with less then 18 months. It is what it is.

10. Sittinshipper

Sittinshipper Bobtail Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Good point, I was thinking the same. Though, to be fair, not all experienced drivers are out there throwing rules and regulations out the door.

Kyle G. Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.