Articulated dump falls a long way.

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by AM14, Sep 20, 2016.

1. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    LEEROY!!!!! YOU AWAKE!!!!!!!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 4mer trucker

4mer trucker Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Back in 72 or 73 I was waiting to get loaded at one of Glasgows quarries about 10 miles from this one and watched one of Euclid drivers backup the pile (appox 40 to 50 ft high) and get too close to the edge and the Euc went over backwards. ..driver bailed and was fine

Scared me just watching

AM14, Big Don, Lepton1 and 2 others Thank this.
  4. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    My mom's uncle died in one of those...dumping and the ground gave way. Smooshed him pretty flat when he landed at the bottom under all that rock, and everyone was surprised it wasn't a closed casket. Whoever stuffed him sure earned their paycheck on that one...

Glad to hear the driver in this case lived to tell about it...isn't always the case.

AM14, Big Don, 4mer trucker and 3 others Thank this.
  5. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    All I have to say is 8' drop tarps.

6. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    After all that.......MAMA

AM14 and Steel Tiger Thank this.
  7. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    not enough clean underwear in the world

Big Don, AM14 and 4mer trucker Thank this.
  8. breadtrk

breadtrk Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Had one like that at the West Nashville quarry, dude bailed and only broke a leg. Truck went all the way to the bottom and landed back end first in a rock pile with the front half up in the air, much like this one. They rolled that thing back over, fired it up and drove it up out of the quarry. Gives a whole new meaning to tough truck.

AM14, tucker and Lepton1 Thank this.
  9. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

That split second, when you decide whether to jump for it, or hang on and ride it down.

Sheesh!

AM14 Thanks this.
  10. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    I think I'd rather chance it going for the ride...where the cab can do its thing absorbing impacts and protecting from falling debris. Jump, and you might still go for a ride, but now your body takes 100% of whatever impacts occur as well as who knows what else that got knocked loose coming right behind you. Of course if'n ya ain't strapped in, you may as well try to jump...because a controlled exit is better than getting FLUNG out as it tumbles and rolls.

Lepton1, AM14 and Big Don Thank this.
  11. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    I agree! Although I did see one incident where a dump truck turned over coming down a mountain, after losing his brakes. It didn't matter what happened there, that accident was just not survivable. Both the cab and the dump body came off the frame of the truck. One of those old single seater Macks. That cab was mashed flat, and unrecognizable. BUT, that certainly is the minority of incidents where staying with the truck isn't better. But in this case, it just didn't matter. Even if he had been able to bail, there is no way he could have gotten clear of that...

AM14 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.