ask your questions about prime inc here

Discussion in 'Prime' started by bartage, May 6, 2009.

1. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    Alright, thanks for the insight guys. Looks like I'll be playing it by ear and hustling around the Millenium to find my trainer.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Streamer

Streamer Light Load Member

Feb 18, 2013
    Florida
    So, turns out one of my neighbors is looking into Prime. He will be going through the apprentice school so I tried hunting for some answers... if any of you kind folk could answer these that would be mucho appreciated!

- He wants to do flatbed. Plain and simple. Is it possible to start out with flatbed as a solo company driver at Prime? If he needs to do van/refrigerator work with his trainer, that would be okay, but his goal is to haul a skateboard when he starts out...

- Are there any company drivers in the state of SOUTH Florida? I noticed on their website they have a dropyard in Miami and the Lakeland area so I suspect so. Would living here affect training with Prime negatively? He isn't exactly against moving out of state, yet, if he could stay here it would be the better financial decision for him.

4. Highway101

Highway101 Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2011
    Fallon, Nevada
    1. Its possible but there are more instructors and trainers in the Reefer Division.
    2. Get with the recruiter on this, sometimes they are hiring from S. Florida, sometimes not, recruiter can tell you for sure.

Streamer and FullMetalJacket Thank this.
  5. Streamer

Streamer Light Load Member

Feb 18, 2013
    Florida
    Thanks for the quick response, Highway.

I figured on the second question... It's tough finding a decent outfit down here for a 21 year old that wants flatbed without getting in his own truck. I'll make sure he checks with Prime before going to some of the smaller companies down here...

Highway101 Thanks this.
  6. stbtruckerswife

stbtruckerswife Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2015
    My husband is leaving tomorrow for his training. He has to do the full course as he does not have cdls. If he goes straight through training how long will it be until he gets to come home

7. LivingDatRoadLife

LivingDatRoadLife Light Load Member

May 20, 2015
    Out of site out of mind
    6-8 weeks before 1st home visit unless he passing thru on a route but his time maybe very limited

darthanubis Thanks this.
  8. stbtruckerswife

stbtruckerswife Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Idc if its for a day lol we have 2 little boys

9. FullMetalJacket

FullMetalJacket Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Vagrant
    [QUOiniE="stbtruckerswife, post: 4710550, member: 168242"]Idc if its for a day lol we have 2 little boys[/QUOTE]
    His I
    Edit: Orientation will take 1 week, plus whatever time it will take to get him hooked up with an instructor for PSD. Ideally, that occurs at the end of the week-that weekend. However, it will be dependent on availability of instructors, smoker/non smoker, holidays, weather...... Have seen situations where sometimes it takes longer. There are far more TNT trainers than there are PSD instructors, so sometimes there is a delay. Being pro-active & involved in actively seeking one out will be a major plus.

Initial phase (PSD) to get him prepared to test out for license will typically be 2-3weeks. He has to get in a minimum of 75hrs actual drive time. This is a minimum IF he is ready to test. Instructor & fleet manager will make decision as to if he his ready. If not, usually a bit longer.

He will then begin TNT phase with a trainer for a minimum of 30,000 miles (trainer & trainee combined miles) before he can upgrade to his own truck. Again, that is a minimum requirement IF he is deemed ready & no significant accident issues. This typically takes 6-8 weeks.

Sometime during TNT phase we usually arrange to get student back home for a hometime break. While out on TNT, his permanent MO CDL licence will sent to our SpringMO home terminal. He will need to get this transfered to his home state, so we usually try to arrange things, so as two birds get knocked off in one throw. If not, he just transfers it afterward.

So, likely at least 3-4 weeks. Then, up trainer & him as to how they work it out.

Here's to the wives & families that hold up the homefront while we are gone. :biggrin_25514:

They deserve as much credit, if not more, than us drivers out here.

:biggrin_25525:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
    Chucktshoes and darthanubis Thank this.
  10. FullMetalJacket

FullMetalJacket Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Vagrant
    If he is going company OTR (Over the Road long haul) when he gets his own truck, they want us out for a minimum of 3-4wks before hometime. They prefer 5-6wks.

He will accrue 1 day allowed for home time for each week he is out. He can then take up to 3-4 days hometime when he does take it. Any longer would have to be arranged & he would likely have to turn the truck in & get another when he comes back out. The truck is losing money everyday it sits, while fixed costs remain same.......so costs them too much, if idle any longer than that.

On a dedicated route this will be completely different for each type of route. Totally different situation from mine, and cannot comment with first hand knowledge. Will likely provide for much more hometime due to nature of routes.

If he is going lease, all info above moot point........he can do whatever he wants as long as he can afford it and keep his business out of the red.

:biggrin_25525:

darthanubis Thanks this.
  11. Rick Brown

Rick Brown Light Load Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Monroe NC
    I have a CDL but have not used it since 2001. Before that I have 18 years of experience, OTR, P&D, Line Haul, Flat, Box, Doubles, and a lot of Referigerated. What would I need to do to get back in the game?.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.