AT my wits end.

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by bigbotes, May 17, 2015.

1. Bout Z

Bout Z Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2015
    so. ohio
    Maybe so. But the op has another thread on this forum looking for cb shops in Ct, with no replies. As long as he is asking, ill try to help, as I'm sure others here will also. Maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in, that can pinpoint the problem.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bigbotes

bigbotes Bobtail Member

May 10, 2015
    Ok I think my problem is where I am. About 7-8 mile from any interstate and I live in a valley surrounded by forests. When i did get reception it was a perfect blue sky. I am also gonna opt for the Cobra 29 classic and a Wilson 1000, all new along with and external swr meter. What the heck its only money right lol.

4. Bout Z

Bout Z Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2015
    so. ohio
    Uhh... well yeah, that would make a difference lol

A cobra 29 and a wilson 1000 would be a fine setup bigbotes. Good luck

5. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    If both radios are working, one isn't any better than the other. Antenna location is still important. Too close to the back of the cab, while popular, is not a good choice.

6. bigbotes

bigbotes Bobtail Member

May 10, 2015
    Well I just installed a brand new wilson "lil wil" antenna. It's the magnetic one and its sitting in the middle of my roof for good ground plane. I still get nothing receiving or sending. I can hear the NOAA channels though. I thought I set the SWR's correct but not sure. I do not have an external SWR meter, I'm using the one in the radio. It is a
    Uniden PC78 LTW. Can someone please tell me step by step how to set the swr's.

7. Getsinyourblood

Getsinyourblood Road Train Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Retired. North Texas
    ALL of your toggle switches on your radio are where they should be, correct?

Well, actually these are instructions, to check, but not set.

To set the calibration on my Cobra. I move a switch to CAL. Then I go to channel 1 or 40, and I key the mic down. Then there is a knob you can turn to make the meter needle go to the left. That knob is called SWR CAL. On the left side of my meter, is a little orange triangle. I line the meter needle up with that orange triangle. I then switch a knob to SWR. Then key the mic down again. Your meter needle should tell you where your SWR is set.

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  8. bigbotes

bigbotes Bobtail Member

May 10, 2015
    Ok I'm getting about 1.1 and 1.3 for swr's. Now it seems like no one is hearing me for any radio checks. This was on the interstate soooo....

9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I would get someone who you can actually trust to ask for a radio check - best situation is to have them on the phone when you do it so you can hear the radio. I have a radio in my pickup that I know is working, the antenna is working very very well but yesterday I was showing someone the radio (thinking about selling it) and tried like hell to get someone to respond to my asking for a radio check ... no one did and this was at a truckstop visiting with the guy.

bigbotes Thanks this.
  10. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    I wouldn't trust the built in meter until I had checked it with a good external meter. Even then, the scale is so small you can't really get an accurate reading. If you are going to run a mag mount, get one that is about 5ft long or longer for best performance. The Lil Wil is limited in it's performance......I have two and use them in temporary installations. Otherwise, it is a Wilson 1000.

11. Guvhog

Guvhog Light Load Member

Aug 9, 2013
    Pine Bluff, Arkansas
    I'm running a Cobra 29 with a Palomar Elite 250 and a Wilson 5000 and it really performs well.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.