At&T making big moves

Discussion in 'Cellular - Voice - Data' started by CargoWahgo, Oct 27, 2016.

1. CargoWahgo

CargoWahgo Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Charter bought time warner on the condition that data caps won't be allowed for 7 years.

At&t then buys time warner.

Next month offering direct TV now for $35. 100 channels including potential time warner lineup.

Perk is if you have at&t using this online streaming TV service uses no data from your at&t hotspot. No dishes and junk...

Is this enough for you to drop your Verizon plan?

Because I'm certainly keeping an eyeball on it.

Thoughts?

Balakov100 and Bakari742 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bakari742

Bakari742 Road Train Member

Jan 30, 2016
    United States
    I have their unlimited everything for $130 a month. Tried to get the DIRECTV deal for ($50) but my landlord said no DIRECTV

CargoWahgo Thanks this.
  4. CargoWahgo

Jan 10, 2012
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Run ya bout $80 for decent everything this route.

I redid my Verizon to the new Verizon plan since they cut the line fees in half. Threw in a %12 loyalty discount for the hell of it. Been with em for awhile.

Bakari742 Thanks this.
  5. Bakari742

Bakari742 Road Train Member

Jan 30, 2016
    United States
    I've been with AT&T for 3+ years but thinking about getting the $70 unlimited plan from Cricket, but haven't made up my mind yet.

6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Can the data for television streaming be tethered to something bigger than a smartphone screen?

I.e. Can it be watched on laptop screen tethered to mobile hotspot? Any way to get the video to a hdmi and television?

7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I have a TCL tv. It runs on the roku software. Cheapest TV you'll find. I can stream my phone or tablet to the TV. but I can't stream the computer. something about needing some type of widi miracast chip. Windows 10 has the drivers to make it work. But the computer don't have the hardware which makes no sense considering chrome browser can broadcast to chromecast stick.

I gave my roku stick away so I can't confirm the stick.

My 32 inch roku TV by TCL was $125 from target I beleive. Very happy with the quality so far. Walmart has a 55 inch I'm thinking about. Granted it's not 4k but I don't think that technology will be around in the very near future to even be used to even worry about just yet.

8. RebelChick

RebelChick Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Coastal VA
    I have DIRECTV at home. Verizon for my cell. Knew they had the streaming deal, but had heard also that at&t doesn't have the most reliable cell service. Anyone have it currently? I'm usually east of I-35 anywhere from WI to TX.

9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    4K is coming.

Just like old tv is retired by HD.

My next computer build will include 4K technology and can do it now if I have the right monitor with it and or a big screen that will run it. I future proof my builds 5 years ahead at a minimum. If bigger parts or rebuild is necessary, that is a option too. Most people just purchase whatever junk ( No offense...) at the store and it's throwaway. I build em because Im sick of junk that wont keep up with evolving tech and software bloat.

Charter is not a option where I am because the entire building must be stripped and new updated cables installed. They are not going to invest in that work because everyone is low to no income. Some do not have the 80 per month for fancy tv or net and do without.

Fiber Optic to ethernet is ATT's model, however there is a lawsuit in Nashville becuase Google is stringing Pure Fiber Optic with no ethernet direct to your computer on the same Poles ATT uses. The problem is Nashville has allowed ATT exclusive right to touch their own lines on about 110,000 poles more or less there and no one else can touch them or move them except in storms. Google wants to essentially put in their fiber and then bury ATT with lower pricing. If Google Wins they will string everything around ATT and bury them. ATT should consider replacing ethernet with the last mile fiber to the homes and buildings and charge google to use it. ATT uverse speeds are pretty crappy and always will be due to physical and other restrictions on ethernet wiring itself. There is no reason to spend 80 dollars to get their crappy speeds when you wait a few years for google to light you up with fiber with speeds fast enough to transfer a full theater movie in a few minutes.

America used to have a copper based plain old telephone service known as POTS. I believe the last exchange on copper was pulled in the late 80's everything is fiber now. We are already deploying the next generation communciations with direct laser to laser towers between the US Stock Exchange in NYC to a special Hot exchange facility in Jersey about 30 miles west as the crow flies. Everything is also retransmitted west and south for hot real time back up so that if NYC gets nuked, the trading wont stop.

For those with decent ATT, direct tv is a option, much better than DISH. Dish is reruns with about 10 hours of new content each month, usually at 8 PM in the evening. Im migrating soon.

My monitor on the computer is big and fast enough to be it's own TV so it is from time to time from the net.

4K is already here to stay. The problem is that most people do not have the really big and fast (Expensive) video cards, monitors, cabling and drivers to render 4K properly on throwaway computers. In about 10 years it will be common at that level.

It never ends. Ive seen technology change most of my life and some of it is to encourage enslavement to 2 year contracts. I do not sign anymore of those which is why no one is able to install anything in my place. They are going to have to do something other than contracts. That will beak at some point when the economy breaks enough to stop people from signing them. The way cell phones 10 years ago became really cheap cash paid servce today. It only cost me 5 dollars a month to maintain a adequate 30 dollar smart phone which itself is really obselete and dumb when faced with the stuff one can add to it and spend money they do not have on it.

I have not address wireless.

It is my belief that people have enough wireless to poach or access someone's net at any time. The problem is that you must secure your own personal wireless routers etc attached to the internet you pay for in my area because the University teaches IT Security, some of which is parking near your hotspot with a laptop and getting inside. Called War Driving. If we can get inside then everything you are and have is accessible. If your wireless is disabled (I am... wired connections only) and youre behind a router with a active NATS and other resources, no one is going to connect to you.

It is important to check that now and then, my building has several wireless sources and all of them are secure. However, you can go to the VA, or hotel etc and get unsecured wireless there and if you do not run software to defend your computer, you are intruded while using it.

It gets worse. The more they use smart phones to make payments etc now and in the future, it is getting very easy to get inside of them. All they need to do is be near your phone.

Technology is wonderful. But we are becoming slaves to it and Ive been fighting back against it for years.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
    Dharok and CargoWahgo Thank this.
  10. Hick

Hick Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2014
    West Virginia
    AT&T is running an ad about all carriers being within 1% coverage of each other now. Verizon has 2,400,000 square miles of 4g coverage, so even if AT&T is just 1% off (yea right), that's 24,000 square miles that you have 4g on Verizon when you don't on AT&T.

Food for thought.

Dharok and jorceshaman Thank this.
  11. CargoWahgo

Jan 10, 2012
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Yeah you'll just need to hook it to your ps4 or latop hooked to your computer if your TV doesn't support plugging it in or isnt wireless compatible.

Alot more convenient for the otr guys not having to have the dumb dishes.

Google Fiber is trying to get in Louisville as well. City is even building a big center for it. Then the new guy gets put in and they say we'll get to it whenever.... Meanwhile the city has built this center for it already without any official agreement.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.