Atlas van lines Commercial Division

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by brandyrose, Jan 13, 2015.

1. brandyrose

brandyrose Bobtail Member

Jun 19, 2009
    memphis tn
    I tried researching this company but didn't find much at all. I leased my truck on in November 2014. They appear to be a good company,straight up,and pay well;when the freight is there. I decided on the commercial division.They advertise that the freight is light and you'll save on fuel. Truthfully the trailers are heavy about 20,000. My empty weight with 1/2 tank of fuel was 40020 lbs I own a century class freightliner. Another problem is the sitting for days waiting for a load. They use CH Robinson alot. The trade shows pay well but like I said the sitting is mind numbing. I've only run between 1200 to 1500milles a week,and cleared over a $1000 a week.It's certainly not what I expected.I'm glad my truck is paid for.They also have a sliding pay scale,depends on what you haul to how you get paid.For paperwork you either mail it in or have it scanned then email. No transflow or tripack. You also have to make copies of you fuel receipts and send them in. I've got a feeling I've made a mistake signing on here hopefully the freight will pickup.:biggrin_2558::biggrin_25511:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
    LindaPV and Captbob412 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. superflow

superflow Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Sounds like it's time for a change , that sitting around stuff don't pay much huh?.....thnx for the heads up brandyrose
    .....they all seem to be good people until you do something for em

4. OFTOTR

OFTOTR Medium Load Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Toccoa GA
    They weren't great 25 years ago when I was leased to them for 3 years. I did like the loads, but we did a lot of blanket wrap stuff back then. I complained about the money I was making, and was told 'you are in the top 3% of earnings'. I told them that is all I needed to hear, and quit a month later. No sense hoping to make more there. I did like the runs we had then, though, a lot of really long runs, but a lot of work in the trailer. Yeah, we sat, sometimes 4-5 days on the West Coast.
    I thought they had switched more to moving pre-loaded household goods trailers, though?
    If I remember right, we were getting .87 a mile, plus some accessorial charges back then.
    They would try to screw you out of the deadhead pay if they could.

Captbob412 Thanks this.
  5. CAPTJB

CAPTJB Bobtail Member

Feb 5, 2014
    I bought into their BS back in the 80s and signed on to the SP Division,big mistake!! I somehow managed to stick it out long enough (1 yr) so they wouldn`t charge me back for the paint job. I remember going into to Evansville to talk to them about being gone FOREVER and not making any money. He told me they had operators there grossing $300k so he didn`t understand my complaint. I asked him how many miles they had to run for that money and his reply was "What difference does it make"!! That was a peace-out for me! Just for the record,the husband and wife team that did that had a 3rd driver in the truck at all times and ran 364 days a year,everyday except Christmas!!

brandyrose Thanks this.
  6. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    Bedbuggin' that's all you need to know. Dirty business.

7. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    It's not all household, or bedbuggin', I knew a guy in SP, I helped him move an art show from Cincinnati to San Francisco one time. Definitely a different way of life.

8. brandyrose

brandyrose Bobtail Member

Jun 19, 2009
    memphis tn
    I'm going to add to my previous statement. Other drivers told me to stick it out,freight will pick-up.I've been watching and learning.Here's the truth.I would empty out before other drivers,but they already had a loads to go to,and I would end up sitting.2,3days, one time: I sat 5 days in Las Vegas after doing a 2500 in 4days from NJ.That tells me this company has a click.If you've been there awhile,then your 1st.New people are last.Then they want you to do a favor for them.Deliver a load that someone dropped,the other driver makes out being paid for good miles,while your left with the dirt of delivering it.I wasn't hired to do shuttle work.Thats for local drivers.I have done local work for other companies that I liked,but I won't do it around Chicago.i've also gone on- line to see what freight was available,but they won't use other brokers. Trade shows pay well,the longest I sat was for 8 hours waiting to be called(you do get paid for sitting) The truck has to be weighed 2 times, empty/loaded. I can't stay here,I'm just getting deeper in debt. This is a good company,if your retired and just want something to do.But if you have bills to pay,or want to build up your bank acct. It's not.

9. snowlauncher

snowlauncher Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Southeastern ID
    My grandparents were team o/o's running special products for them many moons ago...they had a nice big truck and did quite well pay wise. They ran about 10 years and retired comfortably...the downside was they were NEVER home more than a couple weeks a year on average...they were ok with that fact.

10. nel4you

nel4you Bobtail Member

Nov 28, 2012
    Sharing my experience may bring some light to yours. Atlas is not a company to be trusted. They had an add about their "Shuttle Fleet" and I felt for it back in 2013. I went through orientation and there were six drivers with me in the class. By the time we finish orientation only 2 of us remained. The other drivers saw the light before it was too late. I was working for a power only company before and because their add read that type of work I signed on. Needless to say, it was all a lie. I stayed with them for three weeks and out of those three weeks I only moved one empty trailer. They had me going to convention centers all around the US. It is true that they did pay for loaded and empty miles, but that was not what I had signed for. They will dispatch you for a show with no enough time to make it then when you unload you'll have to wait at least for a couple of days for another load. It is not a place to be trusted. If you want to go that route you will be better off working for an agent but if you work for corporate, well, good luck....That was my experience, not good. And now, they keep on sending me emails to get me to work for them again after almost two years!!!

Trucker0387 and Captbob412 Thank this.
  11. Shawn benton

Shawn benton Light Load Member

Jun 17, 2015
    How is commercial truckload division I'm interested in truckload or shuttle. Clearing a grand after expenses if you only ran 1500 miles sounds better than what I have now I can deal with sitting if it pays. I have books, xbox, laptop games and a wife. Some paid sitting is fine.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.