Attending Swift Training With No Cash

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Velli, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Velli

Velli Light Load Member

Jul 13, 2015
    I am divorced and currently paying child support for my two children. I literally have no money because of child support payments and I was wondering how this would work while attending Swifts trucking school? I know they pay for hotel but with no money would I have to starve myself just to make it through school since I don't have any money to provide myself a meal?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    You will need money, no question about it.
    Both in CDL school and for a couple weeks while you are training with your mentor until you start getting paychecks.

Velli Thanks this.
  4. Velli

Velli Light Load Member

Jul 13, 2015
    Thanks I think I'm gonna postpone this until I can come up with a few hundred dollars

5. RedRover

RedRover Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    Have you contacted a recruiter? You need to be able to feed yourself for the duration. The hotel you are in will almost certainly have breakfast and I think they provide lunch the first day.

You have about 4 weeks to survive. The room will have a microwave. My suggestion is hit the dollar store and or Walmart. You can get 12 packs of chicken or beef ramen noodles for 2 dollars even(no food tax here, your mileage may vary)... Walmart is cheaper than dollar general for ramen, trust me.

Get cans of tuna, a loaf of bread, some ramen and 3 weeks supply of Swiss rolls. You can feed yourself for 3-4 weeks on about 30 dollars man, that I know for an absolute fact. I have done it and I still do it now. And if you end up being sent to the Corsicana, Texas location to train, send me a message and I will buy you dinner. If that's where you end up, McDonald's is 1500 feet walking from La Quinta and they have a dollar menu. Any size drink is a dollar. Get a large and keep your cup. Walk in and refill it as many times as you want.

In town there are several churches that have food pantries at various times, a church that buys like 1000 loaves of bread and leaves a door unlocked to take what you need... It's going to be the same in a good number of places. This is a very small town with few resources... Odds are you won't be sent to this school unless you are from close by... Phoenix has many more resources etc.

You can survive, but you will definitely have to lower your standard of living for a while.

Make sure you disclose everything, and I mean absolutely every single thing you have ever done wrong, from stealing a pen from the bank teller, to that time you drove drunk through the gate of the GM plant at 4am because the light was green.

Everything. Because if you don't, they may not catch it until you have been bused to the school and are at training, then they kick you out and you are thumbing your way back home on your own dime, which you don't have.

Also, make absolutely certain that you don't get a recruiter by the name of David Pumphry. I'm sure he's a nice guy, but I wouldn't know because I never actually could get him on the phone. Not how you want to be when you're making a major life movez

ethos, Velli and SHOJim Thank this.
  6. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    You will need more than a few hundred.
    I'm not trying to put a damper on your desires, but you need a dose of reality.

You will need money to survive for at least 6 weeks, and you can't count on eating cheaply by buying food at Walmart.
    And I don't care what anyone says, if you are counting on feeding yourself for 3-4 weeks with $30 you will probably starve to death in the mean time.

You will also need even more money once you get on a truck with your mentor.
    He won't feed you very often, and it will be a couple weeks before you even get a paycheck. And then they won't be very big.
    You can not expect too much in the way of storage space on the truck while you are with your mentor, and count on even less in the cooler. You will be eating truck stop food most often, and that is not cheap.

And have you considered how you will pay the child support when you are in school and training with a mentor?
    If that is taking all your money now, how about for the few months that you basically have zero income?

Velli Thanks this.
  7. KriegHund

KriegHund Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2015
    On a hill south of heaven
    Check out prime, pay while you train also if I remember correctly two meals a day at school.

TROOPER to TRUCKER Thanks this.
  8. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Wait till you have money saved before attending school.Sure there may be some caring drivers that'll help you out with food but it isn't wise going to swift without money.

Velli Thanks this.
  9. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Or Millis after school home on the weekends @Chinatown may can give more info on them.

May be my last post tonight been battling serious sinus and bronchitis and using my late grandmothers recipe of a pint of hot Rock & Rye and a hot blanket to get it out.

alghazi, KriegHund and Velli Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.