Attending Swift Training With No Cash

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Velli, Sep 19, 2016.

1. knight2448

knight2448 Bobtail Member

Sep 19, 2016
    Not sure how Swift does it because I went to Prime. Based on my experience at Prime, room and 3 meals per day paid by company while in orientation. After orientation i had to pay for my meals. They advanced me 200.00 per week onto my student driver id badge which is also a Comdata card. Advances stopped upon completing CDL testing and getting hired. I am safe to assume Swift does something similar to this. These are questions you should ask your recruiter.

Velli Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RedRover

RedRover Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    Truck stops all have microwaves. I can get a 30 day supply of ramen for 8-10 dollars. 2 packs a day. I have lived on one pack per day and spoonfuls of peanut butter for protein. Walmart brand bread is 1 dollar for like 20 slices. That's 10 peanut butter sandwiches, 20 if you spread on one slice and fold over. Swiss rolls come in packs of 10, for 2 dollars. Drink water. Also free at every truck stop.

That will get you through 3 weeks of training. As I said if you are in Corsicana, the continental breakfast at La Quinta ain't no punk. It's not toast and coffee. They have sausage and biscuits, waffles, eggs, toast, cereal and milk, oj, coffee... Quite a #### selection. I don't know about the other schools and what they have. On top of that, the hotel is actually quite nice.

Maybe this guy above couldn't survive on a couple hundred dollars for 6 weeks, but I definitely just refuted that. Not to mention, and I don't recommend it, but you can also take 2x50 dollar advances after I believe the first week otr with your mentor.

Don't take them if you can help it. Keep in mind if you do, your already meager check will be 100 short.

And as for your baby mama, if she is even REMOTELY intelligent, she will realize that you're about to be making more money and that she should cut you some slack. After you embark on your solo mission you should be able to easily get 2200-2500 miles each week. It's not a giant windfall, but it's a start.

Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do this. If you want to provide for your family, and if you want to get moving and get the experience to make a career of this, ignore this nonsense about needing much more than a few hundred to survive. If you can't survive on a few hundred dollars and live on ramen for a little while, you're going to have a very difficult time anyway... They probably aren't going to be assigning you a truck with a microwave and fridge when you go solo... So this will be what you will probably be eating anyway when your ex gets ahold of that check.

Velli Thanks this.
  4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. RedRover

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    Swift pays for no food during training and will give 2x50 dollar advances when with mentor until your first check.

6. Velli

Velli Light Load Member

Jul 13, 2015
    I tried Prime I got fired from a fastfood job in high school 10 years ago and they said it disqualified me from hire

7. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    You have to be kidding, hope you ended up getting a decent driving job.

8. RedRover

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    I got a vm from a recruiter telling me to get more experience. I MAY have a job lined up with a smaller company that pulls reefers for Prime. Boy if I do, I got half a mind to send her a selfie next to a Prime trailer and say "just out here getting the experience you said would be required to pull Prime freight..." Lol

Kidding, but don't let it get you down. They told me the same thing and they were my first choice. Swift has cleared me to come to school and another company may end up being better anyway, also looks like they may be willing to take me on. Ignore the rejections and keep sending in apps. You will end up somewhere and it will pan outz

9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Submit a bunch of applications:
    FFE (Frozen Food Express) read something this week they're hiring from Illinois for their cdl school.
    Celadon - lodging & 3 meals a day
    Jim Palmer Trucking - lodging & 3 meals a day
    Online Transit -
    Online Transport Training Center
    Online Transport Training Center is a new facility located in Indianapolis, IN offering CDL training for truck drivers. There are no tuition fees for our participants and there is no experience necessary. Trainees are paid to be there! We offer free housing during the training period.
    For students with No CDL, we offer a 7-week training program. The first 3 weeks are at the training center and participants are paid $75/day. The last 4 weeks are on the road with a mentor and trainees are paid $100/day.
    Participants must be 21 years of age and they have to obtain a commercial drivers permit prior to attending the training center.

Velli Thanks this.
  10. TROOPER to TRUCKER

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Look you are getting slack I had to page you twice ;)

Velli Thanks this.
  11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I've had a cold so I used my grandmother's remedy of guzzling a pint of moonshine every 6 hours.
    It worked!

ncstang, KriegHund and Velli Thank this.
  12. TROOPER to TRUCKER

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Hope the Rock & Rye recipe works for me. lol

13. Velli

Velli Light Load Member

Jul 13, 2015
    I love this forum. Most of all you are very helpful thanks

Chinatown Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs