Attending Swift Training With No Cash

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Velli, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Do you know anyone in another state that will let you use their address? Illinois is the worst state in the nation when it comes to changing your cdl to IL from another state. They love to fail drivers then snicker about it. You will have to do everything over again at the Illinois DMV; written tests, pre-trip, driving test. They will flunk you for simple things such as saying "guage" instead of "indicator" or "hose" instead of "line" or whatever they decide is right for that particular day.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    It probably isn't up to her though.
    He likely has a court order imposed on him that requires payment.
    Even if she were to try and get it relaxed, it would not help. Believe me, I am in the same situation with child support. Once the order is issued there is nothing anyone can do to stop it, short of going back to court.
    And even that could work to his disadvantage if he is making more money when he went to court for the reassessment.

He could avoid it for a small time when he is switching jobs, but they will catch up to him - and then garnish additional money for the back support.
    If they really wanted to get hard nosed about it they could even suspend his CDL.

To the OP, consider this.
    If the court reassess your case it will be based on your taxable income.
    You would be better off taking per diem pay because it would show your taxable income as lower.

KriegHund Thanks this.
  4. RedRover

RedRover Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    Make sure to keep every single receipt for every single thing ever. Maybe even grab random fuel receipts some random diesel truck driving cowboy leaves as well, just in case... That reportable income should have you at the poverty line :)

5. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    It really doesn't matter what your deductions are because it is based on taxable income before deductions.
    It isn't your bottom line on the tax return, it is the taxable wages at the top.
    If it were any other way it would be pretty easy to get out of paying much support.

6. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    I pay child support and I was told that whatever monthly amount is set by the court order is what I owe. To change it I would have to go through the courts for a readjustment. So, if I was to change jobs for lower pay or something, it would take a court order to reduce it. My ex-wife could do nothing to stop it. In fact, they don't even allow for direct payment, wage garnishment is the only way. It makes paying child support very tricky because I owe 1600 a month yet they only take out a percentage a month and every trucker knows that your checks fluctuate week to week. This month I will have to manually pay 30 dollars to meet my obligation. This is the state of Texas and that is how it works down here. Not the best system but the law is the law.

Worse still, is that if the payment is even one day late they report to the credit agencies. It is a very unforgiving system. Regardless of pay cycle, I log into the system on the 29th of every month and make sure I am paid up. I find it amazing that with a wage garnishment system they don't give at least a few days of grace. Direct payment to my ex-wife would be far easier but I suppose to many people would take advantage of that, still if both parties consent I can't see the problem.

Velli Thanks this.
  7. Velli

Velli Light Load Member

Jul 13, 2015
    I'm currently living in Mississippi now I have to get my class a license switched over from Illinois to Mississippi so I should be good there

8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    MS should be ok. KLLM has cdl school there in MS. Call to see if they have food & lodging. I think they do at Hines Community College.
    KLLM owns FFE (Frozen Food Express) so the school may be for either company you choose.
    @Velli This way you would graduate from CDL school with a MS cdl.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    Velli Thanks this.
  9. Velli

Velli Light Load Member

Jul 13, 2015
    I'll give them a call in the A.m. do you know if their trucks are manual or automatics? Id prefer manual

10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I don't know about the transmissions. Just do what you have to do to get on the road. Companies are switching over to automtics anyway due to better fuel milage.

Velli Thanks this.
  11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Keep that MS cdl so you don't have to deal with Illinois DMV. Use the address where you're staying if the people don't mind.

Velli Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.