Attention, whomever wanted to do a lease purchase through Wil-Trans and their other companies

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by Yaostyle479, Sep 22, 2016.

1. sevenmph

sevenmph Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Pinellas county Florida
    These issues you have with Wiltrans are really no surprise.
    I understand what some of you are saying about a driver not being prepared to run a business. However, Wiltrans (and many other companies) have some culpability in this too.
    Food franchises don't just let you "drive" a store because you have the franchise fee. You have to have a business plan. They will even help you develop one. Also reserve assets among other things before they hang their sign on your business. Not in trucking. Next sucker step forward please!

TST65, drvrtech77, TB John and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. poppapump1332

poppapump1332 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2010
    birdsboro,pa
    Never lease a truck from the same place your pulling loads for and never be dispatched.

4. UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect Road Train Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Yo Mama's
    I am familiar with leasing outside of trucking in Corporate America. Leasing is done in the corporate world as it favors taxes. In the corporate world the corporation never plans on owning the asset, they are leasing for x number of years. They do not have to depreciate it on a set schedule as they do not own it, and they get to write off the lease payment every month. I would think the same applies here, you are leasing with the expectation it will never be owned by you, but turned in at the end of the lease. The leasing company makes very little on the monthly lease payment, they cash in at the end of the lease by either selling the asset for the residual value, or they will lease it to someone else, the latter is almost always all profit. I will never lease, unless it is with the understanding I will never own it.

TST65 and tscottme Thank this.
  5. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    This. It's not just the trucking industry that does this. Railroads (locomotives, rolling stock),airlines (aircraft,engines) also involve leasing on a grand scale based on operational needs.

drvrtech77, tscottme and UsualSuspect Thank this.
  6. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    As the OP found out, even though it's clearly spelled out at enception, leasing a truck, with the truck co. calling all the shots, including weekly lease pymt, mandatory "maintenance" acct, Q-comm fees, this fee, that fee etc plus, being obligated to their dispatch, plus you cannot alter in any way the appearance of the truck.....wow

Western flyer Thanks this.
  7. trkrjim

trkrjim Light Load Member

Apr 10, 2013
    Iowa City, IA
    No one ever owns those trucks! Many don't even have an option to purchase. Nothing but a straight lease on a overpriced freightliner.

8. redoctober83

redoctober83 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    So you what, just walked through the door and signed on the dotted line without asking questions, without doing your due diligence and without a plan? What did you expect, a $2,000/week paycheck for just turning the key on?
    Let's see, taking time off would require you to plan ahead and save up the money to cover the time off as well as the first week back. It also sounds like you have no money saved up for emergencies or working capital. At $3,800 gross, minus $1,500 like you said for fixed costs (which seems very high), that leaves you at $2,300. Then minus fuel, milage and tire fund, maybe $1,100 if you fueled up correctly so that leaves you $1,200 take home. What else do you have coming out of your check? You would need another $1,500 coming out in expenses. Oh wait, you said you took a couple days off, for that number to work out like that you would of had to take an entire week off.
    That 7cpm doesn't take that much out of your check. Even if you ran 3000 miles a week that's only $210 going to emergency fund and maintenance. That's a far cry from the small paychecks you're saying you got.

I'm not buying the story, something else is missing here, like maybe the real numbers.

9. alghazi

alghazi Road Train Member

Aug 29, 2014
    My guess is you are correct about additional personal deductions.

I also suspect he is fueling the truck like he's a company driver.

10. redoctober83

redoctober83 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    I am through a lease program with Prime and I couldn't come close to using that much fuel if I even tried unless I am going max speed all the time, idling the truck 24/7 on high idle, and leaving the fuel caps off so the fuel splashes out of the tanks going down the road ;) He has to be taking a ton of advances each week. Maybe someone forgot to explain what an advance is.

Usually I don't pay much attention to the one hit wonders that pop on here, bash a company X or complain about failing at a lease program when they didn't even try to ask for help before they just up and quit. There a bunch of drivers that are leasing trucks and they all could offer advice on how to improve those numbers, even under Wil-Trans system.

rocknroll81 Thanks this.
  11. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    VT doesn't have toll roads, man... Now if we're talking permits to leave the interstate: different story.
    And Maine has I-95 York to Augusta tolled. It's not THAT bad.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.