Authority, with no truck.

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by deeree, Jan 31, 2016.

1. deeree

deeree Bobtail Member

Jan 31, 2016
    My wife and I want to start a transportation company by first getting our authority, but we do not own a truck. We want to make money from contracting out work to other O/O and then purchase a truck from the money we make. Is that possible and if so, what is the process to do that? I have my CDL, so once we get our own truck, I will drive Please help, any advice is appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    Don't think you can do that. You need liability and cargo insurance for your authority and will have to pass your new entrant audit which includes full inspection of the truck.

KB3MMX and miss elvee Thank this.
  4. miss elvee

miss elvee Heavy Load Member

Dec 15, 2012
    Russellville, AR
    ∆ (came here to say what @Skate-Board said) Need proof of insurance on a truck to get your authority as far as I know.

5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Why don't you just go the "broker route" in the beginning? Or perhaps begin as an agent?

You need to learn the rating and salesmanship side of the business first, IMO, build some contacts (shippers who like you). I see where you coming from with your question, and it can probably be done but finding someone willing to lease on their valuable equipment and skills to a great unknown with no history is going to be hard.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.