Automated Tranny Pros and Cons

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by scottied67, May 6, 2016.

1. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    OK so I had to rent another truck again but this time it is an automated 13 speed. So far has been outstanding. Climbs hills in the top most gear it can, will downshift in higher RPM's to keep it inthe highest speed sweet spot it can. Even the steepest hills, I never got below 35 miles per hour.

On the flipside, seems like most of the time when cresting over a hill to go down or a downhill offramp, downhill weigh station or a speed limited curve , it is playing 'catch up' to downshift and help you slow down. In other words going down a short offrramp downhill, it is in top gear 13 and the brakes alone may or may not be enough to stop in time before the tranny catches up to what you want to do. This particular one is the Freighliner Smart Shift which I found out even in Auto mode I can downshift it manually in those situations. Just tap it forward, or down and it will downshift. Get immediate help with torque and jakes and brakes and tap it again for more help, after that it catches up and aggressively downshifts sometimes 2 gears at a time.

There is that curve on I 80 Salt Lake City, 45 miles per hour, braked into it but tranny was still in 13 so had to 'help' it along by downshifting. Then that 50 mile per hour curve as you get north of SLC sorta downhill going into the curve, tranny is blissfully in 13, I'm like "helloooo" (in my best Mrs. Doubtfire voice) and had to help it again.

Then of course the weigh stations, it likes to blast right into full top gear too fast and make the driver look like a fool so you have to know how to downshift. Also want to set it on Manual to creep across the scale as well or it will upshift on you automatically and again make you look like a fool.

Love it in the rolling hills. With my stick I gotta constantly reach over and split shift or full shift going up and down the rolling hills. Not so with the auto, it takes care of that stuff for you.

Still I think new drivers should run stick for at least 2 full years OTR all over the US before running these autos because they're just not going to know to downshift when stuff gets real.

The only other bad thing about running it the last couple days is that my estrogen levels have spiked way up and I have these uncontrollable urges to pluck my eyebrow into two separate eyebrows, pull on some skin tight yoga pants, sign up for ballet classes and get a facial.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
    Dharok, Diggler, Bob Dobalina and 7 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    The I shift allows manual up and downshifts when in auto mode as well. The XE combo runs at low rpm so sometimes you have to initiate a downshift, like if you were approaching a hill.

Volvo is working on a system called I see where it "learns" the terrain and tries to match shift patterns when it senses by GPS that it's approaching a hill, curve, etc. that it's traveled before.

The new dual clutch I shift is supposed to be super smooth.

As for slowing down, Volvo incorporated an extra position on the engine brake stalk for the I shift.
    0- off
    A-auto
    B

Pulling the stalk to B puts it in brake mode and it automatically downshifts to provide maximum braking. Pretty handy for off ramps and such.

Hardly seems like worn anymore. :p

scottied67 Thanks this.
  4. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I still think when you come across a truck with no gear shift, you should make the sign of the cross, say a Hail Mary, and back away from it, never turning your back on it.

The only plus thing I can think of for an auto is you wouldn't have to climb around the gear shift in the cab.

What kind of MPG you getting with that big dude? What year shaker is it?

rank, ChromeNut, rocknroll81 and 2 others Thank this.
  5. Steel Dragon

Steel Dragon Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2015
    Kenworth and Peterbilt have full manual mode...just like they all should.
    Ive yet to drive the freigh shaker,or volvo yet...but it would have been scary on ice if the trans decided to shift,unexpectedly.

Dominick253 and scottied67 Thank this.
  6. Steel Dragon

Steel Dragon Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2015
    Face it,with the millions of cars added to the road each day,manual is on the way out.
    Silly to be shifting all those gears in heavy traffic.
    Soon we will all be out of work..where is my flying truck?
    (Meet George Jetson)

7. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    The 13 is an Eaton Ultra-shift Plus and we had a few of them. I didn't like the 13 much more than the 10 from 4 years earlier, it did some of the same unexpected things.

It isn't an I shift, and it isn't a dt12. I think the Freedomline was probably ahead of the others in the 2005to 2007 era till Eaton got them run off with court action.

scottied67 and daf105paccar Thank this.
  8. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    I put mine in manual mode when on ice just to be safe. The only time I had issues was in Texas with a light load and I would have had the same traction issues with a manual. Traffic came to a stop on an untreated stretch of I 20 near Eastland that went up hill and it all went downhill from there, no pun intended lol.

scottied67 and Steel Dragon Thank this.
  9. realdesertkickin

realdesertkickin Heavy Load Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Tustoned Arizona
    I have a new t680 with auto...It would never work in auto alone...Quickly youll realize your not really automatic...you just dont push a clutch and have a big ol stick anymore..youll be in manual mode most of the time still pickin your gears
    Our tanker drivers really hate em, I like em..

Like I said, a regular ol truck, minus a clutch and shifter...still need to select gears if you want to get anywhere

I can double click thumb button and go 3-5-7-9 and get er done no problem

10. realdesertkickin

realdesertkickin Heavy Load Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Tustoned Arizona
    When I dont feel like working, i'll set the cruise and the engine brake on level 2 and just let her go...Im on hilly curvy all day, so its full throttle or engine brake back and forth the whole way...Still think its funny I did my whole run the other day without really doing anything...I slouched back with my armrest holding me up, one hand on wheel like i was in a new cadillac cruisin carefree without a care...Its cool, but, at the same a safety concern, correct? !!
    When I rolled in a old 80's Mack pullin double bellys, bald tires, rotted floorboards, scary suspension and brakes...I feared death every mile!!! I was my mostest awake and ready for disaster to hit..

This new truck gonna get me in trouble with all the relaxin, kickin back, having chips and dip, smartphone sideways on the brake knobs watchin cooking shows with my pants off truck in 'auto' mode....Truck will page me if it needs me, if i dont answer it'll slow or stop for a hazard by itself..It'll also snitch me off by callin my TM and sending him a live picture of me doing what Im doing to HIS smartphone....so, ya...I gotta sit up, pay fricken attention, Like I did with all the pieces of crap Ive driven in my life...LOL!!

Coming from sand and gravel, mining, paving...Ive driven, and gotton used to, the worst rollin hazards you could imagine...OMG, these new trucks...These cadillacs y'all driving..Some of ya roll up on 4 wheelers so fast close and crazy...I always think, "man that guy really knows, and is comfortable, with that rig"...!!

I havent adjusted to 8 super singles all on abs, the fattest widest pads ever...I still drive like I have crappy old brakes!! Which ticks off some fellaz, but oh well, i drive my own line!!!!

I ramble...I on a 34..I on booze...lol

11. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    If you like it, why do the rest of the drivers hate it?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.