Automatic CHAINS??? ... What???

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by MidWest_MacDaddy, Oct 1, 2016.

1. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    ok, was joking around with a fellow driver and he was telling me about these auto chains he heard about. Run under 45 mph and just push a button to deploy them.

Feeling like such a newbie and not wanting to be suckered into some joker just pulling my leg, I figured I'd ask the fine boys and girls from up north if such a thing actually exists.

He might be telling me the truth but it sounds just so far fetched... now I have been cow tipping, snipe hunting, and have the sky hook, left handed crescent wrench, and a few other unique tools in my tool bag but really? Auto Chains????

Do these really exist???

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. orcen

orcen Heavy Load Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Brisbane, QLD Australia
    They're real but they're dumb and I wouldn't trust them to work every time in my opinion, they don't go over the whole tire, just underneath your tire, I can see many faults with the arm not extending.. I don't even think they're legal on trucks that have mandatory chain up laws for mountain driving.

4. orcen

orcen Heavy Load Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Brisbane, QLD Australia
    Now what I would like to see is an automated tarping system!

MidWest_MacDaddy and Joec111 Thank this.
  5. Licensed to kill

Licensed to kill Heavy Load Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Alberta
    Yes they exist....sort of. Common on fire trucks. I'm not convinced that they are anywhere near as good as the real thing but better than nothing I suppose.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  6. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    Lots of yard jockeys have them , lots of fire trucks and ambulances to.

7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I've seen them on a few plows but mainly on school busses.

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Auto chains are cute.

If you want to do battle, get ice spikes on custom chain for the full set of your drives. These are not cheap. And even then in extreme situations they will spin just the same. I had a set on my pickup from Austria for a while, now that I have another vehicle with different tires I will have to replace them.

9. Licensed to kill

Licensed to kill Heavy Load Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Alberta
    The auto chains would be as good as running singles.....in other words...not very.

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    And am amused at the buses for schools putting them on. Come on. When there is a ice storm everyone closes school. What are you gonna do with them?

I hate to be rough, but Buses and such are not known for mobility, with the possible exception of Greyhound, whom one driver carried 50 of us across 10 inch ice layer with a foot snow on top besides without chain on his older bus that did well back in 1993.

Prof.Gringo Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.