Automatic CHAINS??? ... What???

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by MidWest_MacDaddy, Oct 1, 2016.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    That is a trick Ive used a time or two. The yelling has not stopped yet. I think when Im dead and gone, those old bosses purple in the face will show up in my small place in hell and continue to yell....

MidWest_MacDaddy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Darn... now you tell me... and here I have been having those removed from the tires...

magoo68 Thanks this.
  4. MidWest_MacDaddy

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Interesting concept... I was wondering how they would be implemented... much easier than what I was envisioning.... LOL

03machwon Thanks this.
  5. MidWest_MacDaddy

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Not saying you jinxed me or anything... BUT... guess who ended up with a screw in his drive tire during pretrip this afternoon????

Uh, ya.... thanks "buddy"... :D

6. Longhood379

Longhood379 Medium Load Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Cremona AB
    Just 'cause school busses don't run when the weather is a bit rough where you live doesn't mean that school busses in the great white north get shut down every time a "Chain up" light flashes. Some busses in northern BC have a highschool student assigned to radio check duty on active log haul roads and supervision of the rest of the students while the driver chains up.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  7. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Learn something new every day. I appreciated that today. Thank you Sir.

8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    My highschool had students from multiple municipalities as its not cost effective to build a school in a town with less than 300 people. One town in particular was on the other side of a mountain pass. I think that bus maybe didn't go out once or twice in my whole time in highschool. I never even got a snow day (unless you count the 2 weeks in winter where the teachers went on strike).

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    If you live in the Rockies like I do you'll see them a lot. But they break down all the time or need service.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I think two times in all my 50 plus years Baltimore City contemplated level III restrictions which are beyond marital law in way of banning vehicles downtown and suburbs during winter.

Now considering the Rocky Mountains and remembering the winters... You cannot enjoy the luxury of banning vehciles and staying home a few days, you gotta go.

This is the flaw in my postion, Ive been too much of a City boy in Little rock where it's mud, tornado then ice and more ice. If it snows, the front passes through in the night, sun comes up by noon it's dry again. No shoveling driveway at all. I lived in our home 20 years and frankly I think Itouched the shovel once to make ready for spouse coming home after she stayed at the VA overnight in a Cot so that she WILL be at work the next morning during the great 2000 blizzard and ice storm that knocked us to 1700's technology for approx 4 weeks that it took to restore the modern world to us. That was a awesome storm. .50 cents of my electric bill to this day go to repaying the cost of that storm damage here.

11. TexasTailTwister

TexasTailTwister Bobtail Member

Jan 27, 2013
    I will add my 2 cents here.
    I,ve used on-spot for 15 years now. I have them on 3 trucks and about to get a set put on my Cascadia as well.They require maintenance, grease when you grease your truck and you need to take the chain part off in the summer because dust and vibration is their downfall. They don`t break down all the time if you follow owners manual and operate them as recommended.
    They are the equivalent of a single per wheel and are legal everywhere. They will not replace triples and they don`t operate well in deep mud or deep hard packed snow as the arm can`t swing out to place the rubber wheel against the tire. The proper procedure is to engage them before you are stuck, sometimes easier said than done, but even then you can rock them into place usually.
    They are not cheap to buy, about $1800.00 per axle and 6 to 8 hours shop time to install and they will wear out, bearings and bushings usually and chain links eventually so I usually need to rebuild them about every second year.
    Even with some minor drawbacks the upside to them is fantastic.I wll not operate a truck without on -spots.

Canucklehead, Pullin2 and Radman Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.