Automatic truck jobs?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by ganja24, Sep 27, 2016.

1. ganja24

ganja24 Bobtail Member

Sep 27, 2016
    I got my Class AZ license recently in GTA, did the road test on automatic truck. Now that I am looking for work I see all jobs require to drive a 10 speed. What are my options with getting a job if driving automatic truck?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Learn to drive a standard. It isn't hard.

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Learn a manual.

Autos are a crutch. It's nice in specific situations, but a Manual is the purest way to drive a semi... and now and in the future a most profitable one too when you consider that today's autos are becoming a restriction against those refusing to learn manuals.

It's not hard. When she quits pulling up you go, take two heartbeats and engine RPM to about 1200 before you get the next up.

The reverse is a little different. When she lugs and bucks, clutch in, step on hammer (Fuel) wait until rpms bounce past 1600, get the next one down before it comes back past 1500. Click click. You generally add fuel and power as necessary to fight the upgrade. This is not the place for babies and wussies.

If you GRIND it, go to the second gear down don't waste time grinding.

5. nate980

nate980 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Langley BC
    Don't you have an automatic restriction on your license since you took the test in an automatic?

6. highroad

highroad Bobtail Member

Jun 1, 2014
    ganga24, call Caroline Blais at Kriska, 1-800-461-8000, highway tractor fleet is 99% automated transmissions, your road test will be on an automated transmission. Equipment is up to date and well maintained. Strong training and support for new drivers. You will need a FAST card so if you don't have it yet, get your application in now! The fee for FAST card application is $50 (I think).
    Kriska has a hiring blitz on. Call now!

7. Yves kanevil

Yves kanevil Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Nighthawk
    Good school to not refer to anyone. Learning in an auto is pure stupidity in my opinion

upnorthwpg Thanks this.
  8. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I'm not that old but when people know you are a truck driver they expect you to know how to drive everything under the sun. To be a "truck driver" and not know how to operate a 10,13,18 etc speed is....not being a truck driver. Now, not knowing the 2 stick trucks would be another story ...

9. Tai

Tai Medium Load Member

As far as I'm aware there is no automatic restriction in ontario. The restricted A limits you from driving a Semi but allows you to drive a pickup/trailer combo at heavier weights.

10. orcen

orcen Heavy Load Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Brisbane, QLD Australia
    lol @ running mountains with an automatic in the winter

BigHossVolvo Thanks this.
  11. ganja24

ganja24 Bobtail Member

Sep 27, 2016
    Any recommendations where to learn manual please pm if can't post here. GTA Area

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.