Automatics what's your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Prime' started by purpleprime, Oct 21, 2015.

1. moose97

moose97 Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Hoagland, IN
    On a serious note to answer your question & not waste your time, automated manuals have a history of jerking/not backing smoothly. When you are backing into an extremely tight spot, the more control the better. Operating a clutch allows the maximum amount of control possible.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. the gypsie

the gypsie Bobtail Member

Jul 24, 2016
    Lol yes it does wise guy. Why would backing be different a auto versus manual was the real question and why? not that it has a bunch of POWER. Which is in fact not as relevant due to proportional distribution of power to weight as much as you would think.t hat sounds like big numbers but proportional distribution in my Silverado(full tow capacity) has more power to weight that a tractor tralier fully loaded. Do he math see if you agree them type it up in an email and send it to someone who cares about your wise guy comments. I was looking for helpful answers in understanding the issues with autos in trucks. Someone posted about backing issues with them.

4. moose97

moose97 Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Hoagland, IN
    Did you read my second comment or did you just come here to ignore people who have actually driven semis? You won't last long with an attitude like you have. What is there to learn? You know it all - after all, you've backed a Silverado!

5. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Backing with a stick, you generally don't use throttle except to speed it up when you have everything lined up and you have a distance making it advised to do so.

Automated transmissions have an automated clutch, and most required some throttle to engage it, the newest ones employ other aids to this, some have a variation of hill assist which engages the clutch as soon as you release the service brakes. Not wise to let it burn, though. It's still not a fluid coupling.

Biggest trouble is the inability to go beyond the norm, which is needed sometimes to slide tandems, or get unstuck.

Also, some of us don't like trouble from complexity, and the transmission control module adds complexity.

In answer to Silverado versus big truck, only if a big truck is equipped with a torque converter, as with an Allison automatic, are they similar.

AnotherObserver and the gypsie Thank this.
  6. the gypsie

Jul 24, 2016
    Thank you. Makes since my wife has a fiesta with a trans like that. I can see how that is problematic. My attitude is fine. I did not see you second post either sorry just thought you were another rabble-rouser. I realize it's not the same thing....obviously. I've been reading though these forums for months and see all the dumb comments people have and assumed yours was the same my apologies. Thanks for the insight. Question. Does that mean they roll backwards on hill starts in the time of brake off and and throttle on? On do they come with the hill assist stuff like passenger cars? Or do you have to left foot the brake while throttling with the other? Would that technique work with backing as well?
    Once again thanks for the comments. Sorry for the assumption.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    Reason for edit: Not finished
  7. the gypsie

Jul 24, 2016
    Some how skipped your hill assist sentence as well reading this while working.

25(2)+2 Thanks this.
  8. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Limiting yourself to never having to drive a stick will limit your company selection, many companies have at least some manuals in them, and will for awhile.

Hill assist merely allowed the clutch to engage slightly with rollback detection increasing it, as I understand it, to prevent the vehicle from rolling back when the service break was released. It was something on the order of manually slipping a clutch in a manual transmission vehicle to keep from rolling back, back in 1970 and before, Driver's Education at some schools taught the technique.

I haven't driven one with it and the AMT I endured,(Eaton Ultra) went to an auction when the lease company dumped it, probably in 2011. I drive regional and short for that, with a fair amount of city drivng, and I never missed not having AMT in the past 5 or so years, the one I had was that bad.

9. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    When I bought my new truck in December I wanted one equipped with the iShift.

Not so much for fuel economy, but more for ease of operation...

Like anything else, it takes getting used to. However, as long as I control my own truck option destiny, the iShift it is for me.

To each their own ;-)

10. swervyjoe

swervyjoe Light Load Member

Dec 14, 2013
    Charleston, SC
    I didn't have any problems backing or sliding the tandems with auto I was in. Hills sucked. It won't hold a gear. You fight the Jake the whole way down or let it hold at 70 something coming down. Starts were laggy, but I didn't notice that so much when backing.

11. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Btw, I run the I-5 corridor, WA/OR/CA. Lots of mtns and hills.

I'm usually loaded at 77k lbs. I checked my overall mileage vs gallons purchased the other day since I bought the truck in December. My overall average is 7.369 per gallon. Which is not too bad.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.