Back Injury, Should I Even Try?...

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by MadMatt87, Oct 2, 2015.

1. MadMatt87

MadMatt87 Bobtail Member

Oct 2, 2015
    Hello forum,

I am a 27 year old male looking to get back to a full time job after a back surgery two years ago. I originally injured my back while working for Coca-Cola as a Merchandiser and herniated a couple disks in my back, requiring microdiscectomy surgery on my L5-S1 disk. I was unable to return to my job due to work restrictions not allowing me to frequently bend, stoop, or lift more than 50 lbs. Coca-Cola never found a position for me and eventually terminated my employment. Since, I have worked a couple temporary jobs, mostly retail and IT work, but have had a really hard time finding full-time work with good pay. I have always enjoyed driving and for the 7 years as a Merchandiser I was driving my personal vehicle all over the Los Angeles region everyday. In those 7 years I never had an incident or any moving violations and I have never been in an accident in all of my 12 years of driving. I have always been a safe and responsible driver and enjoy travelling as well. Just recently I have been strongly considering a career as a Truck Driver but every time I have mentioned it to a friend or family member they have all made the comment that it might not be a good idea because of my back health. I'd like to get some opinions of experienced drivers as to whether or not I should attempt a career in trucking. From what I have read, the vibrations of the road can take a real toll on the lumbar spine, which is my problem area. I know that my back pain certainly wouldn't get any better, but should I expect that it would become unbearable? Also, before my surgery I was suffering from severe sciatica in my right leg from the bulging disk and since my surgery I still occasionally get some minor sciatica and some tingling in my right foot. I have good days and bad days but I am able to get around fine. I can run, walk, sit, bend, basically I can do everything but I just have a sore back and a tight right leg all the time. Am I stupid for even considering a career on the road, would I be able to do it or would I just end up in too much pain and having to quit?

Life on the road would not be an issue for me as I have lived alone for the last 6 years with just my dog and I've always been a really quiet and private person. I don't get depressed easily and have a very positive personality. The only thing holding me back from just packing up and heading off to trucking school is my doubts about the health of my back. I have not yet asked my doctor for his opinion, I wanted to get some thoughts from some drivers first. If any experienced drivers have back injuries or have had the same surgery as me or if anyone knows anyone in my shoes and can provide an opinion, please do!

Thanks!

Matthew

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wild Murphy

Wild Murphy HAPPY TRUCK DRIVER

Mar 25, 2014
    Personally, I think your doubt about your back makes me think you should consider something else. You have to be in the seat for many hours a day, week after week. Why not look into a trucking company that is hiring internally. Maybe work in operations as dispatch. The road can beat up a back. Climbing in and out of trailers to sweep might be a problem also having stuck tandems or landing gear can mess you up. Sounds like you are willing to move possibly so find a company that will hire and train you. Good luck to you.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  4. terryg247

terryg247 Light Load Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    I really think it depends on the back injury. I had surgery on my l4 - l5 a couple of years ago and it is actually more difficult to drive my car long distance than it is my truck. A major factor is the way you sit. In my 4 wheeler it is pretty low, typical sedan, and your legs are in front of you which increases the stress on the lower back where as my truck my legs are down so the stress on the back is much less. In my car after four hours I need to get out and stretch where as I am out three weeks at a time in the truck with no issues. Obviously you need to find a company with no touch freight. Of course the problem is the only way to find out is to try and that can be an expensive choice

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.