Background checks?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Rockinjohnny, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Rockinjohnny

Rockinjohnny Bobtail Member

Aug 23, 2016
    What is meant by passing a background check when you've already supplied a motor vehicle Report? Thank you in advance

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. David_Simpson

David_Simpson Medium Load Member

Feb 23, 2016
    many times we get what is known as the "once over". a general check on us.

once we go to orientation, the REAL DEEP checks take place, like criminal history, driving records, employment records and verification.

one slip up on our part in filling out the application TRUTHFULLY or missing information, results in no job.

Weeezerd Thanks this.
  4. KMac

KMac Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Waxahachie, TX
    Enjoyment history is the one that seems to trip a lot of people up. First company usually wants three years of history and an explanation and documentation for any gaps. Once you are employed, the next enjoyed will want 10 years.

I believe this is a DHS requirement but not certain. Then of course Criminal record of any, addresses you have loved at etc.

Essentially they want to make sure you are not a terrorist and you didn't spend those 3 months you were out of work last year being indoctrinated in an ISIS camp in the Sahara Desert

5. Dakota1358

Dakota1358 Medium Load Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Staunton,Va
    A background check they look at your past work history and get a verification from your old employers that you did indeed work there.They also run a criminal background check to make sure anything listed or not listed is correct.A driving history is just part of what they need to check.

6. Wooly Rhino

Wooly Rhino Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    The DOT audits companies and makes sure they have a driver file on ever driver that works for the company. If you are the owner of the company and drive your only truck, you have to keep a file on yourself.

Companies have to do a 10 year check on you if you have driven for 10 years or more. 3 years if you have never driven. They are looking at your MVR for problems. They are looking for drug use when combined with driving. Not personal use of mind altering substances. They have to get a record from all your past driving companies on any drug test you have refused or failed. Some companies look at how many jobs you have had as they are looking for a pattern of quitting. They have to do a threat assessment by checking for past criminal behavior. Just make sure you account for gaps by giving a name of someone who knows where you were during those periods. There is no judgement involved. They are only doing it so they can pass a DOT audit. No one in trucking cares about your past. They only care if you do your job safely and on time.

Just don't work cheap.

7. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    Enjoyment history. What have u ever done that was considered "fun"? Was is during working hours? 10 years. Please explain.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  8. LindaPV

LindaPV Medium Load Member

Bad checks. Criminal history. Foreclosures. Marital status and court ordered child support. These are all game, available on the internet and up to the employer based on tiers of cost.

9. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    Employment history is used to see if there are any gaps that might have been due to a stint in jail also. Criminal background check, checks for any charges against you. Some companies will not hire you if you are a felon, this is according to company hiring policy. Have worked management before for a retirement home and employees had to pass this check in order to be hired. Had to let go a sub-contract dishwasher one time when we heard he was a felon, for whatever reason the employment service did not do a background check.

10. texasbbqbest

texasbbqbest Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    Do yourself a favor and pull your history through www.hireright.com. Its free. Takes a couple weeks (or more) and they pull Criminal History, MVRs, DAC, and any work history that DOT reports or that you have been drug tested for in the past. Note, all of your State and Federal agencies report. Its good to know what companies will find before they find it. That way you know exactly how to fill out the app.

For me personally, I don't ever include any of my seasonal work as an Event Manager on my app because they won't find it anyway. Less for me to fill out.

Weeezerd Thanks this.
  11. Weeezerd

Weeezerd Light Load Member

Aug 21, 2016
    A new driver won't be able to ask hireright for a full background check, I've already tried. A company needs to pay for and run a background check through hireright first, then you are in their system & u qualify for a free summary of what the company was able to find out about you through hireright. (this also allows you to dispute anything in the hireright background check with the company)

But Texasbbqbest is right, I highly recommend obtaining one after your 1st hiring process to know exactly what was & what was not on your record, for future reference.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.