Bad Day in Bedrock

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by HighCountry, Oct 13, 2016.

1. HighCountry

HighCountry Light Load Member

Feb 27, 2014
    Stephenville, Texas
    Hello all, now I've decompressed and let a couple days go by.
    I thought I'd share this so myself and hopefully others can learn from it.

You never stop learning right,
    I've learned quite a bit from all of you who are generous enough to share their knowledge on here.

I broke one of the cardinal rules of Heavy Haul, I turned my back on a peice of equipment while it's running and this happened.
    It was just loaded on the trailer, all suspension dumped.
    The operator and I were on the ground talking, I went to the truck for a water bottle, felt a nudge looked in mirror and saw this begin to unfold.
    I'll leave it for comments, but heavy haulers will see by the pics what took it off the trailer.
    Operator inside just shaking up, my second mistake was running into the "kill zone " to try and stop him.
    Really pissed at myself still.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Not a heavy hauler (yet!), so I gotta ask:

What caused the crane arm to lift? Operator screwing around? Control get bumped at the wrong time? Or do they just start going up all by themselves for no reason?

Bear in mind, the questions are all asked in due seriousness. Any knowledge on a situation like this, especially how to prevent something like this, would be greatly appreciated.

4. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
  5. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
  6. HighCountry

Feb 27, 2014
    Stephenville, Texas
    @brsims , only dumb question is the one not asked.
    This's why I posted it. I want to learn from it to.
    Not being sarcastic but, for a rookie, good catch on the boom.
    No, controls can't move on their own, built in safety stops have to be manually released by operator.
    Chain of events by operator caused this.
    We're taking break waiting for riggers to return.
    Operator decided to reposition block (hook) on trailer, without telling anyone.
    Raised boom turned house about 3degrees. Center of gravity went critical and over it went ever so slowly.
    Why he did this no one knows.

281ric, NavigatorWife, brsims and 5 others Thank this.
  7. HighCountry

Feb 27, 2014
    Stephenville, Texas
    @Pedigreed Bulldog
    VERY EXPENSIVE!! And I've yet to get trailer checked out and turn in repair bill w down time.
    Trailer came up with crane till about 45degrees then dropped back down.

8. Dye Guardian

Dye Guardian Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2015
    North
  9. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Luckily you hadn't yet chained 'er down...would've whipped the truck over as well.

x1Heavy and johndeere4020 Thank this.
  10. Heavy Hammer

Heavy Hammer Road Train Member

May 1, 2013
    In purgatory
    First of all, glad everyone gets to learn from this instead of someone paying the ultimate price!
    NOT to be critical, but to simply offer my practices.
    Something I see a lot, and personally I disagree with the practice. Unless you have a 10'w deck, cranes should only be loaded with outriggers in the extended position. I've loaded them without the outriggers extended before, but I won't do that again. Not saying this would have prevented this, and based on your description along with the pics, I don't think it would have.
    I will not let a crane drive onto my deck with the boom higher than about 10-15 degrees above horizontal. IMHO the boom was too high. It was in the correct position if you were lifting the machine with the outriggers to slide a rail/beam underneath to load it.
    Once on the trailer and positioned correctly, I get the operator to push slightly with the outriggers so I can block the cane under the outrigger boxes, this makes them very stable. If you do this once, you will never move them on a deck again without doing it.
    Once a wheeled machine is on the deck and positioned where I want it, NO control is to be manipulated until machine is secured, the larger the tires, the more bounce in them and the higher the center of gravity, the more unstable they are. This is not open to debate, and I've had several operators get flat out pi$$y with me over it. Until it's secure, this is a possibility, and if I'm going to be under/around it securing it, I am the potential bug that gets swatted, that means I have the final say or bye bye.
    This is the reason I prefer to haul RT's on my rail/beam. IMHO, it's the proper tool for the job.
    This is the reason one of our customers now only moves RT's on rail/beam.

Oh, and thank you for sharing. It's not easy to share big mistakes, but they are the best way for ourselves and others to learn. And don't be too hard on yourself, we've all walked through the zone, it's easily overlooked, and occasionally we need to be reminded of it, so thanks for reminding me!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
    Chewy352, 281ric, TripleSix and 12 others Thank this.
  11. Rontonio

Rontonio Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2009
    Glad everyone is ok, but this is why I Hate hauling RTs.

Someone tried to swing
    the house on one out by Beaumont - tied to the trailer - it went right over with the trailer. Took 4 wreckers to stand it up.

I won't haul anything bigger than
    A 770 on my flat deck because It am only 8 6 wide and worry about peeling off my outriggers.

I am with @Heavy Hammer on using a beam or blocking for stability.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.