Bad fuel

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Peanut Butter, May 8, 2016.

1. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    Actually it is a fungi not algae. Biocide fuel additive is mandatory in hot wet climate area. I do biocide shot every time have to fuel on I-10.
    2016-05-09 21_32_06-Microbial contamination of stored hydrocarbon fuels and its control.png

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    A little off topic. I recently parked my truck and went back to my old job. I'm a software engineer and work in a lab in Mass. I do embedded programming work to aid the scientists with their experiments. I was not involved in this one but caught my attention.

We were hired by a truck stop chain. Don't know who. They wouldn't say. Outside firm representing the truck stop made the arraignments. In the front of our building they had a backhoe dig a hole maybe 20'x20' and maybe 4' deep. A rubber bladder with collection pipe and drain put in the bottom then the soil back in.

Cucumbers were planted but stayed maybe 4' away from edge. Every day diesel fuel was poured all around the edge. When the cucumbers were small enough they started testing them. No fuel in the cucumbers at all. ZERO. The town tried to stop them from building a truckstop saying it would contaminate the corn crops. They didn't care about the crops, they just didn't want a truckstop in town but due to zoning they couldn't stop them.

tucker and pearcetrucking Thank this.
  4. Peanut Butter

Peanut Butter Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2007
    PO Dunk Idaho
    Looked in my tanks fuel color is normal not black nor blueish black so I hop was just loves junk fuel. Will have shop check filters soon to see.

5. Skate-Board

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    My truck is a 2001 and once I let the fuel get down to around an 1/8th. My mechanic at home was working on my truck and had the front wheels on ramps so pretty steep. Just for the heck of it I took a flashlight and looked in the tanks. I was surprised to see they were nice shinny metal and clean enough to eat off of.

6. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    I sure hope you are lucky enough to not have a problem.
    if you run a 1st stage filter that has a clear housing, keep a good eye on it for a while. while the tank may look clean, the bacteria can build up a film on the tank, a breeding ground. Because you run out the fuel, and add more, it can take some time for the bacteria to take hold in the tanks.

Also, you may want to drain the tanks to clear any debris and water sitting at the bottom. If you run the tanks down as far as possible, the loss of a few gallons of fuel will be worth it.

I was not so lucky, twice.

7. pearcetrucking

pearcetrucking Light Load Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Gainesville, FL 48states
    So how do I get the algae out of my cucumbers?

Skate-Board and LindaPV Thank this.
  8. Peanut Butter

Peanut Butter Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2007
    PO Dunk Idaho
    Was at the shop a bit ago had the mechanic check tanks he knows what to look for and he said it's not ages or fungus he said it smells and looks like oil in the deisel but he gave me a twin pack of bottles of stuff to dump in the tanks to clear it up. When I get home next time will check filters again and replace them just to see.

9. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    Seems to me the diesel fuel around the cucumber patch would eliminate the need for salad dressing at the salad bar. You have the oil, just add a little vinegar.

10. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I used to haul fuel and it all comes out of the same pipe at the rack ..same with gas ...algae is true on old fuel tho and is black ...bought a repoed truck in 11 that had sat quite awile and had the algae problem but a couple sets of filters and fill ups and never had another problem.

11. Skate-Board

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    Lmao

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.