Bait & Switch Hiring Scam

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by 31N90W, Feb 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 31N90W

31N90W Light Load Member

Sep 3, 2013
    I wonder how may of you all have seem something like the following, how common is this Bait & Switch Hiring Tactic/Scam?"

On Craigslist I keep seeing a listing for a HazMat Tanker Transport position. Strike One: If the listing is always on Craigslist, I have to assume the outfit has a revolving door?

Anyway, I applied. HR said that the position paid 60-70K yearly, out five (5) days, weekends off in my home city, hauling HazMat Tankers, decent Health Benefits and Safety Bonus + Hiring Bonus. Sounds good? Strike Two: The outfit does not offer a 401K? I asked, and the HR Rep. said that their drivers prefer keep their money? Huh? Really, with a 401K I lower my tax bracket, save money (pre-tax income), and the company usually kicks in a percentage (read free money).

Then after the Drive Test (the tester said I passed with flying colors) I was interviewed by the Dispatcher. The Dispatcher told me about the job duties and the usual amount of miles per week. The numbers did not add up so I asked how we get to 60-70K based on the mileage/rate that they were telling me? The Dispatcher rolled their eyes and quietly admitted that the max yearly income is about 50-55K???

I asked the HR Rep about the discrepancy and they said they would get back to me. Strike Three: When they called, I thanked them and ran for the nearest exit.

My hunch is that they paint a pretty picture (about salary) and after you hire on, you realize that you are not going to make what they stated. Maybe some drivers stay, probably most leave, hence the perennial ad on Craigslist.

Why not be honest up front with the applicant?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    they gotta trap people somehow - lol

j1bowie and Dominick253 Thank this.
  4. thejackal

thejackal Road Train Member

Mar 1, 2014
    detroit mi
  5. thejackal

thejackal Road Train Member

Mar 1, 2014
    detroit mi
    That's the mentality of corporate America that's why.

JAL1972, Cat sdp and Canned Spam Thank this.
  6. Mad Frenchman

Mad Frenchman Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2014
    Texas
    Who the hell looks for anything but trouble on Craigslist anyways ??
    just sayin...

7. Caustic-sam

Caustic-sam Bobtail Member

Oct 5, 2015
    If not Craigslist then where to look

8. Thegasman

Thegasman Light Load Member

Dec 4, 2015
    Indeed.com tons of trucking related careers. That's how I got started with Airgas

rabbiporkchop and CHHALL3 Thank this.
  9. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    This transport company on craigslist,that wouldn't be for solar transport would it? They use to post once a week now it's every day with two separate ads.only thing changed is the title.companies keep glamouring up their ads and they still can't find the drivers.

10. 31N90W

31N90W Light Load Member

Sep 3, 2013
    No, it was not Solar. And, to me, Craigslist is a job search tool, yes, Indeed.com is good, and this very site has a jobs board. There are other good sites as well. Asking at the truck stops or when you see a truck parked also works. I use all the tools/assets available. Leave no stone unturned. BTW, I found an excellent job (so far) on Craigslist, so I contend that Craigslist has its merits.
    My comments were more on a Bait & Switch tactic.

KriegHund and 12 ga Thank this.
  11. Canned Spam

Canned Spam Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    STL

I do, and have. Worked a job for 5 years that I found off a Craigslist. Just have to know how to weed thru all the bs

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.