Bank card skimming

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Raidermom, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Raidermom

Raidermom Bobtail Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Need some help from California truckers and I realize it's a long shot but I'm hoping so here it goes. My bank card was skimmed at a Truckstop in ky and used in walnut creek ca for fuel that's the info from my bank. Thankfully my bank froze my account and whoever didn't get the 193.00. But I am reaching out to anyone who might have heard anything. My father retired from trucking and some of the stories he told well you know. But now it's a different generation. Hoping someone can help. Stay safe

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tow614

tow614 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Never had it happen but i know what to look for

4. Raidermom

Raidermom Bobtail Member

Oct 22, 2016

5. Raidermom

Raidermom Bobtail Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Any advice on how to track the guy? I have wasted a whole day trying to find a website to track merchant id no luck I even called all the gas stations in walnut creek hoping the guy was still their trying to come up with a way to pay for his fuel. Again no luck I know I'm obsessing but that makes my blood boil that someone would do that and a trucker of all ppl glad my dad is retired.

6. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    I've had a similar issue once. There really isn't any way to track it other than to have that card number flagged as stolen and hope they get caught

Raidermom Thanks this.
  7. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Cancel card and get a new card number. Good that your bank locked it up right quick. All you can really do is forward your info to police. If it is a theft ring your information may be of use. It won't do much good trying to track them down yourself.

Raidermom Thanks this.
  8. Raidermom

Raidermom Bobtail Member

Oct 22, 2016

9. UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect Road Train Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Yo Mama's
    They installed a card skimmer inside the pump, it happens, and they use blue tooth to connect to it and download the card data, which is stored on the skimmers. Once it is installed they will not open the pump to download, instead, they pull up next to the pump, and fill up like everyone else would while they download the data. A list of card info. is then sold over the internet, so the person using it has no idea where the data came from.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. Raidermom

Raidermom Bobtail Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Thanks for answering I realized pretty quick after searching Internet. That's why I reached out to you guys just wishful thinking the jerk might have also reached out to other truckers for a loan. It's been an eye opening experience at least I know now how to spot the equipment they use . Thanks for responding stay safe

11. Raidermom

Raidermom Bobtail Member

Oct 22, 2016

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.