Battery post (3/8 bolt type) turns in battery.

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by 04 LowMax, Oct 1, 2015.

1. 04 LowMax

04 LowMax Medium Load Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Alberta
    Thought I'd do a pre-winter service on my batteries, as the title says, one post just goes round and round. Huh. Never seen that before. How in sam #### do I get it loose? Barely enough thread showing about the clamp nut to put vice grips on it. Anybody?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    what ever you do be careful that is a exploding battery just waiting to happen if you have the other cable still hooked up. if it sparks inside while you are trying to turn it BOOM! where a face shield and hold the cable in place to see if it will loosen. if not cut the cable and replace cable with the new batteries.

rollin coal, KB3MMX and 04 LowMax Thank this.
  4. SAR

SAR Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2011
    ND
    Yup I had that happen to me once, just had to replace battery. Like super hauler said be very careful as fumes could be escaping from
    that post and any spark you will have an explosion. I've had a battery blow up in my face a couple times, very scary and was lucky, wear a face shield Vause you can't replace your eyes.

KB3MMX and 04 LowMax Thank this.
  5. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Try a good 1/2 impact and burp it off.
    Might be just quick enough to buzz it off.
    Carefully thou.

04 LowMax and icsheeple Thank this.
  6. Prom Night Dumpster Baby

Prom Night Dumpster Baby Medium Load Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Bug Tussle, TN
    cut the nut off with an angle grinder. Or the whole post.

04 LowMax Thanks this.
  7. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    It's probably a cheap exide battery. Made in China.

I'd definitely wear a face shield and gloves.

04 LowMax Thanks this.
  8. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    A nut splitter works well. And that battery is toast. That stud has broken loose inside.

04 LowMax Thanks this.
  9. 04 LowMax

04 LowMax Medium Load Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Alberta
    Thanks for the replies. I had been thinking to go one more year with them but this cinched it. New ones in this weekend. For today, I disconnected the ground on that one, and can easily run on three. I will deal with the spinning post when I change them out, I have to unclamp them and pull them farther out to get at it where I can split the nut, or hacksaw the post or something. Like I had said in o/p first time ever a problem with the threaded post type. Never a dull moment in this trucking is there? Here's a BTW tip, don't use rubber gloves to change a fuel filter, even the grippy ones. Why, well, the fuel is slippery and it could fall out of your hand, land buttend first on the ground and splash back up out of the filter and nail you. 360 degrees available for that fuel to go, but guess where it probably is going. How do I know, lol :)

rollin coal Thanks this.
  10. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Someone suggested cutting the nut/post with a grinder. I don't know if it was sarcasm or not but please DON'T DO IT! Batteries give off hydrogen gas when they charge/discharge and one little spark could blow that battery (or the other 3) to pieces. Batteries are practically bombs and an often overlooked danger that people don't ever think of when working on vehicles.

I'd be wearing rubber gloves, safety glasses and a faceshield when around that battery. Even that post turning inside the battery could cause an arc in between the post and the plates. If you have enough slack in the cable I'd suggest cutting the cable with cable cutters right at the crimped on ring terminal. Then have a new terminal crimped on and heat shrinked to prevent moisture from getting in. As someone else suggested, a nut splitter would work too, as long as you made sure to keep the area well vented in the off chance it might cause a spark.

04 LowMax and MJ1657 Thank this.
  11. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Usually an impact will spin it off, you may have to pull up on the cables a bit to get some pressure on the stud to hold it still and blip the trigger on the impact. Do NOT use a grinder to cut it, batteries can explode doing that. I had one cross threaded so bad that it would not come off, I just carefully used a small pry bar to work the stud out of the soft lead (the battery is bad anyway). Once it came out, it was easy to grab with vise grips.

04 LowMax and MJ1657 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.